Need help figuring scales

Discussion in 'Tips & FAQs' started by thewoodengraver, Nov 9, 2005.

1. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Chris, just move the decimal two places to the right to get the per cent.

In the above example to reduce from 1/60 to 1/100 you divide 60 by 100 and get .6 as the answer. Move the decimal two places to the right and you get 60%. You would print the original pieces at 60% of their current size to get the smaller size model.

To enlarge from 1/100 to 1/60 you divide 100 by 60 and get 1.67 (rounded to two places). Move the decimal two places to the right and get 167%. You would print the original pieces at 167% to get the larger size model.

That works for any scale conversion. 1/32 to 1/76 would be 32/76 or .42 or 42% reduction. 1/76 to 1/32 would be 76/32 or 2.38 or 238% enlargement.

1/300 to 1/700 would be 300/700 or .43 or 43%. 1/700 to 1/300 would be 700/300 or 2.33 or 233% etc.. :)
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well hey that makes sense. Thanks :) Being the lazy bum I am I would still like a calculator though ;)
  3. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Scale Calc

This is the easiest tool I've used to compute scale.

Attached Files:

4. xyberz

xyberz Member

The only problem I see with upscaling is when you say to increase the model size 167%. For someone who is in a rush and isn't paying attention at the moment, might accidently increase overall size by 267% instead of 167%. I guess the brain seems to work that way sometimes when we don't mind our work. They'd think to increase size by 100%, in turn doubling it and increasing it another 67%.

I think it'd be much easier if we said to increase your model size an additional 67% to reach 1/60th scale from 1/100 scale. It would be much harder to mistaken a phrase such as that, well at least in my belief. :-D
  5. xyberz

xyberz Member

Thanks for the scaling tool. It would be incredibly fantastic if it had a function to calculate pixels, since chances are that you're getting your paper model on the computer. I think it would be much more accurate in the computer world than using standard measurement scales.

If you really think about it, a pixel is incredibly small in size so calculations using pixels would result in very precise measurements whether upscaling or downscaling.