Need help and advise regarding purchasing a scanner

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by dimas Karabas, Jun 29, 2005.

1. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Dear Modelers,
    I am working on purchasing a scanner (believe me I do still do not have one) .
    What are your suggestions with respect to a brand, kind, price avalible in North America.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Dimas,

Well, I have two scanners, one is an astra2000p by umax. It came with bundled software including adobe photo deluxe photo editing program, and a ton of other "extras". I doubt you can still get this particular model and I would hope the software bundle has changed, but this is a hearty little scanner and the cost isnt too bad. You might look over some of their products online at just choose your location. They sell new and refurbished products too as do most manufacturers. I purchased mine at the local staples store, but have seen them at home depot and walmart too.
    My other scanner is an HP scanjet 3970 and it is really nice, and since I also have an HP digital camera and HP7150 inkjet printer combo, they all work well together. But, Hp offers all in one printer, scanner, fax machines that are nice too. I have dealt with HP support on a few occassions and they were always helpful in resolving any issues and answering any questions I had. They even sent me a "powered usb hub" to connect all my HP and other products together, free of charge to help solve one issue I had and sent me a cable in which the connector end was abit "crimped" free of charge. They have really amazed me with their support. You can find the HP scanners (home or office) here:
    you can also buy them at most retailers and walmart.
    I hope this has been of some help to you and anyone else in the market for a scanner. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it no matter what you get.

Have a nice day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA
  3. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

Thanks Greg,
    Appreciate your help. I did buy a scanner/printer combo from HP last winter after new years. The stupid thing was not compatible with my computer. I called customer support, and they said that their suppot was in India. Then they gave me a whole bunch of instructions and it still did not work. So I returned the whole thing back to Bestbuy. No more HP products for me.
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Try Canon's Canoscan series. It's best to buy from a company that has long experience in the field which Canon has. The Canoscan NT2400 is thin making it portable with a notebook. It uses power from the USB connector so there is no need for an external power supply. I've been very pleased with it's performance and TWAIN ability with all associated application programs (as seamless as it can get).

5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Just my two cents............ but I've had Visioneer(s)and have not have any problems.

Just get a USB model...... way WAY faster the parallel.

6. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

I have an Epson 3170 has a film frame for 35mm. Photoshop elements 2 came bundled with it. This has really made it a valued package. John