Need commercial printing advice

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by nx13688, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nx13688

nx13688 Member

I'm looking to get some of my models printed commercially. I have next to no knowledge about the printing process, and I'm hoping someone here has some experience and could give me some pointers so I can ask intelligent questions.
  2. cardfan

cardfan Member

I was employed at a small print shop. I would be glad to help in any way I can. I won't have all of the answers, but maybe I could steer you in the right direction.
  3. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Is there an ideal cardstock I should be asking for? I'd like something coated for a nice glossy finish, but I know clay coating cracks. Is there something that works well for modeling use?

If I want a metallic or fluorescent color (in addition to regular colors), that could be done using a spot color, right?
  4. cardfan

cardfan Member

As far as the cardstock question, I would check at the print shop for samples of both 67 lb cover and perhaps 110 lb index. They both have a nice smooth surface. I believe that you can also get a varnish put over the final press run that makes the print shiny. I am most familiar with cardstock for printing in inkjet printers. I would like to ask my local paper vendor about one of my purchased models and paper types.

And to the ink question, a printer can spot print pretty much any ink color you want, but the cost will go up with each pass through the press and each plate that needs to be made. Each color requires another plate and setup time. Very fine lines would probably need a set of negatives made and then metal plates made for the prints themselves.

There is also the added cost for metallic and florescent colors and a wash cost for the press for each of those.

Let me know if this helps!

5. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I think if you explained your application, showed your model, size of project, etc you'd get better answers. Some models I make with large white content and little ink look best on 44lb glossy. the size makes a big difference too.
  6. nx13688

nx13688 Member

OK, here's the first one I want printed. It fills up an A-size sheet, so it's about 6" long when built. The orange on the real thing is fluorescent, which is why I asked about spot colors.
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

that one will print real nice on 44lb HP premium glossy paper, using a 600dpi laser printer.
  8. Renaud

Renaud Member

For four years, I sell 2x8 postcards, both offset printing, with mat colours, after watercolors I painted. I never realized until a seller began to exhibit them just just behind the window (towards East) all day long that one range faded out rapidly, in a two weeks time, turning to light blue, while the other one, coming from another printer resists so well that you hardly notice a difference when the summer ends! Be careful... beware of white collar workers!

Regarding one particular colour, and to avoid dots, use a chart (we call it "Pantone" here) and choose the suitable colour: however, this needs one pass more through the press, and increasing costs, for the printer has to be cleaned after it. This is the reason why it is used only to colour large even surfaces, such as the sides of a ship or the deck. And the colour remains all the same after you decided which one to choose, this could be a disadvantage (for example, regarding the deck of a ship, made of wood)