Need assistance on replacing traction tires

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Greg, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Greg

Greg New Member

I have an MTH Pittsburgh and Lake Erie 2-8-0 locomotive that the traction tires have come off of. I can't find instructions to do this. The biggest impediment is the connecting rods, I can't see how to get around them. I have loosened a few screws on the bottom in an attempt to get the body off and get at it that way but can't get the right combination. I am leery about just loosening screws until it comes apart for fear I will have trouble getting it back together.

Does anybody know where the instructions can be gotten, or possibly have them? I have tried the MTH website but unfortunately the link to the instruction manuals doesn't take you to actual instructions.

Any help will be appreciated, THANKS!
  2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I know nothing about MTH except I hate their website. It has to be the slowest thing I've ever encountered on the internet. Have you tried e-mailing them yet?
  3. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Greg, I believe the rods are attached to the wheels with hex head shoulder screws. A small socket or nut driver should remove them and allow replacement of the tires.
    for example.
    I don't know this for sure, but take a look at those rod attachments.
  4. Greg

Greg New Member

I have e-mailed MTH last week and have yet to get a response, and yes their website is the slowest commercial website I can recall using. A decent hosting service isn't that much money but I digress.

cidchase, Thanks for the info, I will take a look and see if I can get the connecting rods off that way.