need alittle help please!

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Nothing, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

can someone explain how i can compensate my internal formers for card thickness in meta?
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

MMMmmm.. Tricky... depends on the location of each former, the size of the model and how you intend to build the model. In general, I make a formers for a tubular shape so it can be fitted after the tube has been formed/closed/ glued. = Max leeway for builders.

There's probably a better way of doing it Nothing, however I usually rescale the former to .990 That's on a tube about the size of a coke can, I guess the smaller the model the larger down-scale ratio. The Wing formers will have to a little more so maybe .950 ..?? depending on models size.

Oh and I also rescale each former individually.~ so I don't change their scale in the wrong plane.

Any help..?

Attached Files:

3. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

yes thank you gearz. ill give it a try.
  4. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

If you are starting from scratch and you chosen scale would make the completed model 250mm long by 300mm wide. Then make a primitive square 200 by 300 meta units. Zoom out and load the your background. With the Bkimg option selected scale the image until your picture is the same size as the square. Delete the square.

As the meta units = mm you are now designing in real size. So if you make you former 0.5 meta units thick it will be 0.5 mm in the real world.

Using the example above. If you have a fuselage with a diameter of 40mm the use a primitive cylinder with a radius of 19.8 with a a height of 0.5 meta units. I suggested 19.8 to allow for the thickness of the fuselage paper.

If you already have a model built follow the first part and then "Select All" and rescale to match the primitive square. Save under new name before trying.

Hope this helps.

Cheers JTF