need advice

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by 69stang, Feb 27, 2005.

1. 69stang

69stang Guest

i need to know what kind of car to start out with? :D and what kind of tires and dont say pvc.
  2. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Why cant we say PVC? Are you not asking our opinions? And if we say PVC theres SOME reason why we would say use that.

Anyway, i would use ABS for tires... black, and have a little more grip then PVC. As for car, whats your limits? What do you want to do with it?

Asking those two questions would be like me asking you wheres the building. You have to be a little more specific.
  3. 69stang

69stang Guest

im on a $200 dola budget and i have all of my electronics and whare do u find abs tires and are they for drifting?what about the yokomo drift tires?
  4. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

personally i dont like Yoks. They are just way to expensive for my taste. ABS is found most anywhere PVC is.

As for car / budget. Tires will cost maby $5 to make. So you've got ~$200 left par say.

I would just go for (this is if drifting is the ONLY thing this car will do) TT-01's or ebay a Pro 1, 2, or 3. The car will be around $150ish, then you have $50 for spare parts and hops. (No matter HOW good you THINK you are, you WILL break something within the first week.)

If you were planning on doing some racing maby, just fork it out (it may hurt) and go for a TC3 of sorts. Ebay would be the way to go here.
  5. 69stang

69stang Guest

k thanks but what exactly r abs?
  6. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

Abs is a type of plastic that is alot more durrable than just plain ol' pvc pipe typically it is black...
  7. 69stang

69stang Guest

k but what are they tape or a liqud what state do they come in?liquid solid what? if posible can some one post a picture of one finished abs wheel up close please thanks. and are those the only option for drift tires?
  8. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Take a look at PVC. ABS is EXACTLY like that, but black and softer.

If my dad will ever give me the camera back, ill post pics of mine...

Heres your option for drift tires that have been thought of... some of which i would HIGHLY suggest not to.

PVC
    ABS
    Copper pipe
    Rattle can top
    Electral tape
    HARD foam tires
    Yokohoma tires
    HPI Stage D's (if they are out)
  9. 69stang

69stang Guest

IF I USE ELECTRICAL TAPE how would i ude it? like put in on a rim or first put on a tire then wrap electrical tape around it or what? and what do u have for a setup, car, tires, electronics the hole shibang? (i mainly want to know what tires u use)
  10. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

lol, having trouble with tires are you?

This is my basic set up,
    TC3
    Stock motor
    KO Pro Mars
    ABS
    but also, when i did this i was looking at racing this car also, and had the luck of a parent paying for it all. This is NOT what you should do if you just looking to drift, or are cheap, or just are on a budget. In total, all my stuff cost 500 - 600 USD.

To set up electral tape tires, put a rubber tire on the rim, clean the rubber REAL good. Then grind it flat as you can. Then wash it REAL good again, then wrap electrical tape around the whole tire tightly about 5 times.

- or -

Wrap it around the very edge (like 1/4ths inch) from the outside in. Thats usually only used for rubber tire users (brushless) who want a little more slip.
  11. 69stang

69stang Guest

k thanks but after all that i think i might get a yokomo drift kit lol sory 4 wasing ur time. do u have any other cars? i have an brushless e-max that goes 70mph (no kiding) and a team losi xxx buggy. but i have alll brushless systems in those and i have one extra that im gona but in my drifter! how long have u bean drifting?(i havent even started to drift yet)or how long hve u bean racing?iv bean racing since i was 7. i had to learn and make all of my own money all by my self my parents dont know squat about my racing. and im 15 now so thats 8 years
  12. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

I started RC at age 2, drifting around age 10 ( just didnt really know it) and racing just these last two years. My other cars a Mclaren (ba dum cha!) No but really, my other cars are T-Maxx, RC10T x 3, RC10 B x 2, RC10B2, and then a LOT (like 70) other Radio shacks and Toys ' r' us'

Iv had to earn most of my money for recent years. Only when im starting something big (Such as my DJing, wich i ended up paying for tables and such tho) will my parents help pay. My dad used to RC Planes, then cars, and he used to teach me, now i teach him. Just these last 2 years (im now 15) have i really started getting heavy into RC again. Thats why all my stuff is Gen 1 or original.
  13. 69stang

69stang Guest

thats kool i wish my dad did that kind of stuph he is kind of supportive but i can tell he doesnt realy care for my sport to mutch
  14. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Eh, at least your dad really pays attention. I just have to annoy my family untill they listen. Mainly with my djing because they dont like what i spin to much (i like cutting cuss words a lot :wink: :wink: :wink: )
  15. 69stang

69stang Guest

have u seen the new hpi tires on ebay?
  16. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

havent really looked at them much at all
  17. 69stang

69stang Guest

you should check the out they are cale hpi drifting tires [ebay]
  18. rcdrifter

rcdrifter Guest

19. OhOneWS6

OhOneWS6 Guest

The HPI tire part # is either 35401 or 35402. It hard to tell from the manual which is the tire and which is the foam. I don't think they are available individually yet. You can only get them in the Stage D kit.

See here:
    http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/setup/33432_o.pdf
  20. 69stang

69stang Guest

I FOUND A NEW TYPE OF PVC PIPE!!! it is in my electrical shop its grey and its seem softer than normal pvc. il give it a try and post the results and the whare to find it