Need advice of creating cement effect

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Poby, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Poby

Poby New Member

Hey everyone, I'm not actually a model railroader, but I need some advice on how to make a realistic cement effect. I'm thinking along the like of an old, crumbling cement bunker (because that is what i'm trying to replicate)

it's going flat up against the sides and edges of this computer case, but not the mesh on the front or top. Anyone have any ideas?

You input is appreciated stooges8
  2. Poby

Poby New Member

btw, doesnt need to be exactly like the above picture, any old cement effect would do
  3. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Hello Poby, you didn't say what scale it might be, so I think I would use ceiling tiles to build up the general shape and layers of cement slabs, then carve the tiles to make the "face" of the bunker. Spackle could be used to form, and then painted .

4. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

Scale is important... Here is a concrete silo I did in HO scale.

This surface is paper tape, the kind of breathable tape 3M makes for hospitals.

Spray it with gray primer. When dry, smooth it a little with sandpaper, and give it a tan, waterbased wash.

If it's really old and crumbled, be sure to show some rusty re-rod poking out. I simulated that once with the cut up grid from the surface of a fly swatter, seen here. (Sorry about the size)

5. Poby

Poby New Member

sorry, hate to say it but i dont know what scale it would be, like i said im not a model railroader, but the dimensions of the case are 20.7" x 8.4" x 19" if that helps. The ceiling tiles sounds like a really good idea. sturdiness is kind of important, not rock solid but enough for the occasional bump or two without hurting it
  6. nachoman

nachoman Guest

By scale - do you want the computer to look like a mineature aged concrete wall, or like one large, life-sized concrete slab?