Neat new tool !!

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Dave Harris, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I just got the Jewelers tap & die plate that I bought on E Bay.

It is going to be great!! I can now make threads , internal & external from .7 MM to 2 MM . Before getting this 00-90 internal was the best I had.
    MAN this thing will make some TINY threads!! .7 MM is about .025 !!
    I figure I can thread brass rod & then use very small hex rod drilled & tapped to make nuts, make 2 nuts , solder one on for the head & I have some VERY small fasteners !
    I think It will be well worth the 26 bucks it cost.
    Last night I made Crank pins for my Mikado with it. The Mikado drivers are threaded 0-80 so I tapped a 00-90 washer & soldered it to an 0-80 screw, leaving enough thread to seat in the driver. Then I turned the rest of the screw, now headless, to .045 --- 00.90 size or .12 MM , threaded it with the die plate--after threading it would almost screw into a 00-90 nut , but was just a bit tight due to a teeensey bit of thread interference . So I put the nut in a nut driver & ran the .12 MM tap through it & it "tweaked" the threads just enough to work perfectly!!
    The result is I now have MUCH smaller nuts holding the side rods on than the gross oversize screw head of an 0-80 screw. Looks much better.
  2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

hmm. Ya got a photo of those side rods?

3. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Side rods

Kevin, I only have 2 of them on right now.
    I can't figure out how to post a photo on here anyway --wwhen I click on how to post photos on the main page it just takes me to the forum index?? If someone will tell me how I'll be happy to post some photos.