Neat Little Critter

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Here's a scratch-building challenge for you lovers of unusual little things on rails. I've seen rail cars before, but this one is a little different. I ran across the photograph in an old book on air travel, and thought I'd share it.

I presume it's narrow gauge, but don't know for sure. All I do know is from the photo caption which says, "Airport Jitney --- CMA [Compania Mexicana de Aviacon] transported its Vera Cruz-bound passengers in this rail car to airport in Tejeria during mid-Twenties --- one of first world efforts to provide ground passage to and from airports."

Sorry about the deformation in the middle of the picture. The photo was printed across two pages in the book and this is the best scan I could get without tearing up the book.

Have fun with it.

Bill S

Attachments

• jitney01.jpg
    jitney01.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 295

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Golly Dingies Bill, That little rail bus is sure close to the Jordan Models Camp Runamuck School Bus. Especially the front end. Now I'm starting to wonder how to power it. That big rear wheel looks like it could be an N scale driver???? This may be an "after Christmas" project.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Go for it Vic.
I'd whip one out myself but they have'nt been invented yet in my little world... Shew!!:D

I ran out to the shop and checked the axle width on a Jordon delivery And it would almost work in HO so I bet you could make it work in narrow gauge.

The strangest looking contraption on rails I can think of seeing is John Allen's "Ruptured Duck".

t.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi T, I've been in the junk box already.....seriously eyeing the mechanism of an N scale Bachman 0-4-0. Looks like I could elminate one set of drivers and it will re-gauge to HON3 real easy. I've got one of those Jordan Bus' around here some where...just got to find it. Gonna have to see what will fit what:D

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Have fun Vic. I particularly like the pony truck. Looks like a little narrow gauge freight truck. If all else fails, I bet you could use O scale (or even S?) spoked pilot wheels for the driver.

And if you pack enough people in there, like in the picture, you should be able to hide a little motor.

Happy I could give someone the germ of an idea. Keep us posted on your progress.

Bill S

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Just a quick update on the project...no pic to post yet...Have obtained the Jordan Bus...Looks like the body may require some parts like running boards from their Model A kit....still trying to find suitable power...a static model would to too easy!!:D Haven't had the time to do this as I thought I would because of some issues with taking care of my elderly Mom but this one is a "must have" and has worked its way to the top of the pile:D :D