NCE DCC radio control

espee

Dec 16, 2005
I have a NCE system and am considering going to radio control. Does anyone have experience with the newer NCE radio system?

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
New Jersey How yous doing
Visit site
Radio control

I Have NCC pro Cab RC.

Well it's great because you can go any where. The range seems good.
The only thing is some times you have to enter a command 2 or 3 threes before it responds. I don't have the latest firmware in it, I did not send in for the up grade yet. I am still building the layout so I haven't played too much with it. I think it may need a fresh set of batterys, it seems to eat them.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I bought myself one for Christmas. First foray into DCC. To be honest, I'm not that impressed with the the radio cab. Once it loses the plot, it really loses the plot.

It won't even respond if you plug it back into the cab bus. Gotta turn the whole thing off at the power point to get it to respond again. And forget trying to unplug it from the bus and use it (radio) while you have the layout running. It won't connect (radiowise). Gotta turn the whole system off, and back on again.

I've got perfect line of sight (no more that 8' from the base aerial) and once it loses it's connection (or whatever), that's it. It won't connect back again. It did it so often, that I've given up on it, and plugged it back into the bus, until I can sit down and work out what's up.

It maybe me, or it, or the brand new first set of batteries I put it in were dodgy. I dunno yet, but I'm not using it (in radio mode) at the mo.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
It's been a while, but a response to my own post above.

I finally got around to checking this radio cab out properly. I've been using it as tethered only since then.

Got myself some fresh batteries, tested them to make sure they were OK, and it still played up. Switching itself off all the time (everything from 10 secs to a minute or two), and even though the LEDs flash (trasmit & receive), it would only get commands thorugh once in about 20 attempts. It would work fine for about a minute, then not at all. Turn it off, and the only way I could get it to do anything was plug it into the bus (tethered) and reset the cab address. (even to the same number). It would work, maybe, if I was lucky, for a minute or two, then cark it again.

I called the supplier, and apparently this is a known problem with a batch of the NCE radio cabs. Poor command connection, and the LCD freezing, and switching itself off. (even when set to auto power-off = 0). Apparently there was a batch of radio cabs that had resistors on the circuitry wired in wrong, that produce this problem. So i've got to return it to get it fixed/replaced.

I'll see what it's like when I get it back.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Well, I've now got my NCE Pro Cab radio controller back from repair. It works fine now. However, I was about to send it back AGAIN for the problem of it not responding, the LCD display not updating, and appearing not to reposnd, and having to push the buttons a number of times.

However, it was my problem. I was using it too close to the radio base station. Move more than about 2 - 3 feet away from it, and it works, and responds fine, with the LCD display updating when it should. Move close to the radio base station, and it plays up, as joepomp and I both described. I have not yet tested how far away from the base station it will work, however Garahbara takes up a double car garage, and I've had no probs with it responding correctly, first time, every time no matter where I am around the layout. Except, of course, if I'm within 2 - 3 feet of the radio base station.