Nausicaa Gunship

Z

Zathros

Some more pics. This craft looks different in every picture I see, movie, manga, etc. My 12 year old son says I have it wrong. He's right, and wrong, just like I am, right and wrong, I guess it depends what your looking at.. This will be one big compromise! :)

Attachments

• G11.jpg
    G11.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 19
  • G12.jpg
    G12.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 16

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
To add my two cents worth.
Take the best parts (what you consider that best parts that is) from all of your sources and put them into the model and go from there.
I think that you are doing a GREAT job with it so far.

I have to say that I like the silver one better though.

Either way you go, good luck with it.

Z

Zathros

The green color is just to get an idea of how it will look. It won't be the actual color. The Silver is what you normally work in, when not using the wireform, in Rhino this texture is called "Ghosted", you can add or take out detail, such as isocurves, mesh lines, etc. You can make templates in this color too. :)

Z

Zathros

Some progress, mostly tweaking here and there, before I move onto some other stuff. Some of these issues have to be made correct, or the rest won't fall into place. The color is closer to what the final model will be. :)

Attachments

• RG1.jpg
    RG1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 17
  • RG2s.jpg
    RG2s.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 23
Z

Zathros

I have done a couple of more tweaks. The main one, (the only one that seems noticeable!) is the wing root fairing. I made a temporary one, and forgot to update it. Next step is to redo a couple of panels so that the paper seams match the seams of the aircraft as it appears in the Anime movie. tooth1

Attachments

• RG4.jpg
    RG4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 89
Z

Zathros

Redid the wings, wing root, and some other doo-dads. Getting closer to a satisfactory design. :)

Attachments

• N1.jpg
    N1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 12
  • NJ2.jpg
    NJ2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 16
  • N3.jpg
    N3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 18

silveroxide

I have been looking at this model and made a google for it. There is one out there that is similar to this one but it has a propeller propulsion system. This typical one has me befuddle as to its forward thrust. If I should get around to building this one, I might add the propellers or devise an intake and jet exhaust for it. I do like the design of it and I am waiting for you to start the build thread on it. Enjoy and see you around the forums.

Z

Zathros

The thrust of this craft is between the parallel double huge flaps. This allows the craft to vector it's thrust. See attached picture below, also evident are the compromises one must make when doing a model like this, as the shape tends to "change' a little:

Attachments

• engine thrust.jpg
    engine thrust.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 17
  • engine thrust 2.jpg
    engine thrust 2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 16

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
The more that you work on this, the more intrigued and interested I become.
You are doing an OUTSTANDING job on designing this model.

N

niebla de fuego

The more that you work on this, the more intrigued and interested I become.
You are doing an OUTSTANDING job on designing this model.

Agreed!! (not in the "intrigued" part, but on the "outstanding job" :mrgreen: )
Getting a model like this to look nice based on the original illustrations is a hard job, and Zathros is doing it very well. As he said, there are always slight changes and variations in almost every picture.
I think this is a very interesting aircraft. So unusual an yet so interesting, that it is attractive. It usually happens with Miyazaki's design.

Z

Zathros

Thanks you. Allen Tam was kind enough to look at the model. I lengthened the Barrel, according to his suggestions. He showed me some wings. I went a different route, but they look much better now. I appreciate all input. I have another idea, but I have to find the picture first, then I'll post it. :)

Z

Zathros

O.K., I have the pics. hey show a very small part of the engine. This should not be too hard to incorporate, but will take some artistic license, as there is not much there. :)

Attachments

• nausicaa-                   two.jpg
    nausicaa- two.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Nausicaa one.jpg
    Nausicaa one.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 208

gravewolf

I really like it since I'm a also a fan of the movie and it's gonna be interesting to see how you would incorporate the engine into the model. Though I'm ashamed that I didn't know there was a manga and I've been reading manga's for a long time. Are you planning on adding a base to this after finishing the model?

N

niebla de fuego

O.K., I have the pics. hey show a very small part of the engine. This should not be too hard to incorporate, but will take some artistic license, as there is not much there. :)

You are doing a very good job with his model. The gunship is quite complex, but seems to be taking good shape. I would love to see the engine. it is a nice touch that enriches the model a lot!

...Though I'm ashamed that I didn't know there was a manga and I've been reading manga's for a long time.
Actually, Nausicaa's manga is richer and more detailed than the anime. The Movie was made when the manga was just in the first issues. So the movie was based on what was available at that time. The Manga was expanded further. What you see in the movie is barely the first 150 pages of the manga (out of 1100 pages).

Z

Zathros

1100 pages! I just found it on a webpage and started to read it. I guess I have a lot in front of me. I would like to try and simulate that panel and what's underneath there. There will be a lots of guesstimating!! :)

N

niebla de fuego

1100 pages! I just found it on a webpage and started to read it. I guess I have a lot in front of me. I would like to try and simulate that panel and what's underneath there. There will be a lots of guesstimating!! :)
The manga is great. You'll enjoy it!
It's a lot more complex and much darker than the film.

There is an image in vol1 (or was it vol 2??) showing a gunship graveyard where pieces of several discarded gunships are rotting. Although it is a very general view it gives a good sense of the "feeling" on how they could look dissasembled. I think that in your case getting a "realistic" detail of the internals of the gunship in a paper model is not as important as transmitting the proper visual feeling.

Regards :)

Z

Zathros

I plane to do only that one panel, and some cockpits detailing (both of them), based on what I can find. :)

Z

Zathros

I finally got Rhino 5 today. It has an interesting rendering mode call "Pen", which is self explanatory! I was waiting for this to get this model back on path.

I would encourage anyone which a child in elementary or High School to take Rhino up on their offer of a full working copy for $199, instead of $1000 dollars. There are no limitations not present in the full priced model. It is an incredible way to get an excellent product cheap, and teach your child CAD. This will put them far ahead of the crowd.

So I guess I start to finish this one of now, (well in a week or so, back to the hospital for procedure for a day!). :)

Attachments

• NausR51.jpg
    NausR51.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 21

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I am glad to hear that you are picking this project up again.
Good luck with your new toy (the program that is).

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that all goes well during your stay in the hospital.