NASA Train Derails (5/2/2007)

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Jac's Lines, May 2, 2007.

1. Jac's Lines

Jac's Lines Member

2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

yep those are UP engines :( :(
  3. b28_82

b28_82 Member

The lead one from the video appears to be an SD70ACE (or SD70M-2) and the second looks like a flared SD70M
  4. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

UP doesn't have SD70M-2s. Also, in the shot on the MSNBC site, you can see the two large horizontal vents on the inverter cabinet behind the cab. (At least, I assume it's an inverter cabinet, as that's what it is on a GE.) An SD70M-2, being DC-traction, doesn't have those.
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

6. railohio

railohio Active Member

They weren't on NASA property but rather running on a shortline in Alabama to get clearance for the oversize load.
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

As long as the Space Shuttle works, I'm fine with whatever else breaks :D
  8. Cannonball

NASA does run it's own railroad however.

Apparently mother nature had it's own ideas about giving clearance for oversized loads. :D
  9. trainpicman

trainpicman New Member

I am a Alabama boy my self and the darn thing broke our trusell it was on a short line and it was going thur some duble trak work.
  10. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

:shock: OUCH!!! that looked like it hurt! I guess there weight limits were a little off.....--josh
  11. trainpicman

trainpicman New Member

Also it lost a wheel set off one off the cars along the way before this
  12. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

It had problems befor this and they still ran it. Did they do a good check ?
  13. Cannonball

The derailment wasn't the train's fault. The bridge gave way under it. It just happened to be coincidence that it had lost a wheel earlier in the trip. Well, I guess it would be the train's fault because of it's weight sinking the bridge but it didn't have anything to do with the wheels.