Nando Falcon 9 Rocket by Space X

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
... but the Falcon 9 was a great achievement. A milestone in the potential and feasibility of Space travel. ;)

I started the build of the Falcon 9 in the landed configuration. It's HUGE!.
Ok It isn't at same scale but considering the Moonliner at 1/72 and the Falcon at 1/100 it should be even bigger at the same scale of the old missile.

20160412_110247.jpg

I found this picture that depicts the operations at the port and and it illustrates very well how HUGE the Falcon is! It doesn't seem so big maybe for its slenderness.

f9_crs8_port_20.jpg

Best, Nando :)

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
Ok, i'm working on the Falcon intensively, because I'd like to bring It at an exhibition near my town with the moonliner.
The posts could be sporadic in the next days.

Thanks for attention, Nando :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Sporadic is fine, I just need your permission. Watching anything you post is education. ;)

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
Ok you can start a new thread for the Falcon, just let me know where you put it, so I can add my posts, when I can.

Thanks, Nando

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
But my main concern was the weakness of the legs, mostly because I want to bring it to an exposition.

After some trial, I choose to use metallic wire inside the absorbers, and to articulate the legs at the body of the first stage.

After the first test, I reinforced the base, and i strengthened with the glue cyanoacrylic the points where the metallic wires penetrate into the paper.

20160422_154958.jpg
20160422_160843.jpg

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
20160425_005756.jpg I finally wanted to add some element that would complete the model and remember the place where the Falcon landed last time. But to reproduce the entire barge at 1/100 would ended in a very large model ( 300 feet = 3 feet or 91 cmt ). So i decided to reproduce a smaller version of the deck of the barge with its marks, logo and writings,

Reactions: zathros

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I have to say that I like watching your builds. This is one is no exception. This is a very clean and crisp build. It is also very informative as well. I am looking forward to seeing how this will turn out!!!

Nando

Designer Extraordinaire
Oct 5, 2006
Turin (Italy)
Thanks nero_on_fire for the hint, but it isn't my intention to go deeper into reproduction of the "damages". I just drawn something that could look like the original deck. On the deck there are the marks of eight engines, but when the Falcon lands, uses only the central engine. Then there are marks of rust, waterholes, etc.
I know that Alfonso, the author of the Falcon, is thinking about to design the model of the barge and I think that this model will be gorgeous.
In the mean time I designed some small figurine, at the right scale, to give a better reading of the size. I choose also a different type, according to the subject: a family for the moonliner and workers for the Falcon.
Best, Nando :)

20160426_171018.jpg

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Nando, your model is the first look I have had of it. Excellent job!! :)

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
Beautiful model, like always :). This model and your other models heve some spell on them that i can´t stop looking at them.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
As I said in another post, the idiots causing the polarization of the political part of our country no longer represent the people. Their future is not as bright as they think it will be. America's economy off the books is greater than the economy on the books, SO as they alienate the populace, they become irrelevant, cease getting support for their campaigns, they those who wish to lead for the good of the country, not power hungry selfish low life's, will be voted out. Voting is the tool we have, not voting can also be a tool, as the winner who wins an election with a low voter turn out faces and Congress with no mandate from the people. You statement is right on the money, couldn't have set it better myself, and cheers to Elon Musk, who came to the U.S to avoid having to participate in Apartheid. He was able to pursue his dream here, and now is the inspiration for so many around the world.... The influx of immigrants into America keeps it vibrant and alive, and make it truly reflect the world. Every type of human from every country is here, and there is only one type of human, Man and Woman, the latter whom have bore us into this world and still do not get enough respect. :)

Reactions: nero-on-fire