Nando Falcon 9 Rocket by Space X

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Nando, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

I started the build of the Falcon 9 in the landed configuration. It's HUGE!.
    Ok It isn't at same scale but considering the Moonliner at 1/72 and the Falcon at 1/100 it should be even bigger at the same scale of the old missile.

I found this picture that depicts the operations at the port and and it illustrates very well how HUGE the Falcon is! It doesn't seem so big maybe for its slenderness.

Best, Nando :)
  2. Nando

Ok, i'm working on the Falcon intensively, because I'd like to bring It at an exhibition near my town with the moonliner.
    The posts could be sporadic in the next days.

Thanks for attention, Nando :)
  3. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

Sporadic is fine, I just need your permission. Watching anything you post is education. ;)
  4. Nando

Ok you can start a new thread for the Falcon, just let me know where you put it, so I can add my posts, when I can.

Thanks, Nando
  5. Nando

Here where I am

zathros, Rhaven Blaack and Tonino like this.
  6. zathros

7. Tonino

Tonino Member

When and where Nando? I want to take a note on the calendar... This could be the good opportunity to finally meet you in front of your works! :)
  8. Nando

The model is easy to build and I started to assemble the various parts.

zathros and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  9. Nando

But my main concern was the weakness of the legs, mostly because I want to bring it to an exposition.

After some trial, I choose to use metallic wire inside the absorbers, and to articulate the legs at the body of the first stage.

After the first test, I reinforced the base, and i strengthened with the glue cyanoacrylic the points where the metallic wires penetrate into the paper.

10. Nando

20160425_005756.jpg I finally wanted to add some element that would complete the model and remember the place where the Falcon landed last time. But to reproduce the entire barge at 1/100 would ended in a very large model ( 300 feet = 3 feet or 91 cmt ). So i decided to reproduce a smaller version of the deck of the barge with its marks, logo and writings,
    zathros likes this.
  11. Nando

I tried to reproduce the damages of the flames on the deck.

12. Nando

Now the model is ready for the transport.

13. nero_on_fire

nero_on_fire New Member

I absolutley love the humor of Elon Musk/Space X. Their automatic drone ship had the name "Just read the instructions":

And they relabeled their "Space X Launch control center" to "Space X Launch & Landing control center"

Also, when I lately read the wikipedia article on the ship, I came across a picture of the landing barge after landing, maybe this helps in your effort to make it look "damaged":

zathros and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  14. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

I have to say that I like watching your builds. This is one is no exception. This is a very clean and crisp build. It is also very informative as well. I am looking forward to seeing how this will turn out!!!
  15. Nando

Thanks nero_on_fire for the hint, but it isn't my intention to go deeper into reproduction of the "damages". I just drawn something that could look like the original deck. On the deck there are the marks of eight engines, but when the Falcon lands, uses only the central engine. Then there are marks of rust, waterholes, etc.
    I know that Alfonso, the author of the Falcon, is thinking about to design the model of the barge and I think that this model will be gorgeous.
    In the mean time I designed some small figurine, at the right scale, to give a better reading of the size. I choose also a different type, according to the subject: a family for the moonliner and workers for the Falcon.

16. zathros

Nando, your model is the first look I have had of it. Excellent job!! :)
  17. bigpetr

bigpetr New Member

Beautiful model, like always :). This model and your other models heve some spell on them that i can´t stop looking at them.
  18. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

These look GREAT!!!
  19. zathros

Individuals in America doing what whole other nations can only dream of. :)

Falcon 9 successfully lands on Barge!!

Rhaven Blaack, bigpetr and Nando like this.
  20. Nando

... you are right but you did your best when you worked together as a nation, following the dream of one man "... not because it is easy, but because it is hard."