Name that Layout

COMBAT

:wave: Hi, I have tried to figure out what to name my layout. I thought I would look here for suggestions since this comunity is so helpful anyways.

The time Era is present, the location is the Northwest U.S. The trains are Santa Fe and BNSF with a little BN thrown in later.

Here is a drawing of the track plan.

1untitled.bmp

Thanks for the suggestions! :D

Triplex

Sometimes I've wondered "Why does a layout need a name?" But it's common pracice, so...

Typical patterns in this case would be "BNSF _______ Division", "BNSF _______ Line", "BNSF ______ District", "BNSF ________ Branch". Then there's naming a layout after the region...

COMBAT

I am looking for the town name. There is a granite mine here, the shipping container yard, some small amount of log cutting going on and a town. I guess I should have explained it a little better. Sorry. :)

Midnight

Town: Retsum, AZ or any Northwest state
Railroad: Retsum City Railroad and Granite Mining

Like it?

~Midnight

COMBAT

Retsum, different. I was leaning towards Island Rock. The reason is, if you look at the diagram, all of the inner area where we will be standing is supposed to be a bay, harbor if you will. Well that makes the container yard kinda on a pennisula and there is a mountain at the end of it. That makes it an island, kinda, sorta. LOL
The rock part is the granite company and mountain in one. I dont know, anyone care to run with that idea? :)

MilesWestern

I HIGHLY suggest you find a locale you're modeling (E.G. Norther California, western AZ, upper kansas, ect.) find names of towns from your region, find a name that fits. Island Rock isn't the best because the postmaster general way back when would not let you found a town with a name too similar to another in the state. (e.g. Confsuion with Rock Island, Ill. )

MilesWestern

Names of regions and towns....

Region:
-Mt. Rainer
-Wenatchee mountain range
-Olympia Valley
-Snake River
-PUGET SOUND
-Oak Harbor
-Hood Canal
-Gray's Harbor

---------Towns---------

The complete list of towns in WA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_Washington

Also I highly reccomend that if you are going to caputre the flavor of a region as distinct as the Pacific Northwest, you should know about the region a bit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_Washington

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_northwest

COMBAT

MilesWestern said:
I HIGHLY suggest you find a locale you're modeling (E.G. Norther California, western AZ, upper kansas, ect.) find names of towns from your region, find a name that fits. Island Rock isn't the best because the postmaster general way back when would not let you found a town with a name too similar to another in the state. (e.g. Confsuion with Rock Island, Ill. )

I am modeling the North West, thats my local. I want to keep it vague so I am not copying a real place.I dont want to use a real name of some where else so I am trying to come up with my own. Good point reguarding the postmaster thing, I have to keep that in mind. :)
Here are some pics of the construction under way. Don't mind the mess it will get better! sign1

MVC-0001F.JPG

MVC-0002F.JPG

MVC-0003F.JPG

MVC-0006F.JPG

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I like it, that is a cool name, Granite Flats.

That benchwork looks great!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

spyder62

You can go with Rooster Rock Rail Road branch
The only clothing op state pack in Oregon and the BNSF runs right by it on the Columbia river with that other road running on the other side. Plus down your way it would be your joke.
rich
rslaserkits

COMBAT

Another interesting name. I know whats gonna happen, someone is going to suggest a winner! :) I like'em, keep'em coming! :)

holdenburg

COMBAT said:
Retsum, different. I was leaning towards Island Rock. The reason is, if you look at the diagram, all of the inner area where we will be standing is supposed to be a bay, harbor if you will. Well that makes the container yard kinda on a pennisula and there is a mountain at the end of it. That makes it an island, kinda, sorta. LOL
The rock part is the granite company and mountain in one. I dont know, anyone care to run with that idea? :)

Combat...

Peninsula, Island?, MMmmm Rocks?.... Sounds like FEC Coral Rock train that goes north everyday at 5pm! The mountain could be the LandFill, the only mountains we have in Florida! Could it be in Florida?? sign1
fec208june03.jpg

MilesWestern

The mining town of Rocklin is home to the large quarry which provides ballast for the BNSF and the local shortline (or your own creation) which connects Rocklin with the industrial center at Montgomery. The BNSF serves the large container transloading operation at Keyport, which has many suburbs (Cloverdale, Winthrop, and Hamilton) that the BNSF main line rolls through on it's way Northeast.