Name That Airplane Time!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Gil, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

It's time for that favorite Cardmodels.Net activity..., yes, it's "Name that Airplane Model" once again!

Best regards, Gil
  2. cardfan

cardfan Member

Oh, I know! It is that one with the wings and the engine isn't it! Ah well, I never was very good at aircraft names. Beautiful work though, excellent modeling. Now as for what model VW Bus you have...

3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Wow, what an exquisite piece of modeling. Corrugated aluminium, huh..., a single-seater, seemingly WWI cockpit or possibly 1920's. Junkers comes to mind, but they were mostly square fuselages. Wasn't there a Siemens-Schuckert cantilever monoplane as well? I'm just throwing wild guesses here. Could there have been an American plane fitting this description? Keep up the tension, by all means! - L.
  4. charliec

charliec Active Member

Mmm... Junkers tended to have fairly square section fuselages - this looks
    much more steamlined. How about the Berliner-Joyce XP-13 Viper ?

5. Ron

Ron Member

Junkers A-50 Junior?
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ron correctly identified the model and is declared the winner! It's a Junkers A 50 Junior, a 1928 all metal monoplane design. The model is from Reimers Modellbaubogen design (acquired from PMI). I chose it for the first corrugated cardmetal model for a number of reasons first of all because the card design lends itself to cardmetal fabrication. The detail provided lends itself to embossing and scribing techniques normaly used for plastic models. The fit so far has been wonderful even with the need to increase the the width normal to the corrugation axis to account for the corrugating shrinkage.

8. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Great! You don't make it easy on yourself, do you: "... with the need to increase the width normal to the corrugation axis to account for the corrugating shrinkage". How on Earth do you manage to calculate such a thing?!? - L.
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

Fast approximation is Pi * the pitch of the corrugations - approximating the
    profile of the corrugations as circular segments.

10. silverw

silverw Member

...are you sure that isn't a 6in to 7in stove pipe adapter with a 90 degree "tee" , yet to be installed?? I'm almost sure I can remember that part in the kitchen at home.

11. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

...corrugated area? think wave-lenths.
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

The need to put an exact number on the shrinkage might be one of my better ideas, ohterwise everything will end up a "little off" which can lead to many downsteam problems. I simply made a test piece measuring the before and after widths to determine the shrinkange. This was dialed into Illustrator and the appropriate axis was scaled by this percentage which in this case worked out to be 1%. What really amazing to me was the small amount of material required to gain a large measure of structual strength. It's one of those "always new about" but really did not comprehend the benefits. Oh well, new truths and facts lurking everywhere, just take the time to look and even better yet comprehend...,

Bill, one of the hints I was considering was that it was not a model of a 33 Gallon galvanized trash can with a large hole cut in it to throw everyone off. I've been thinking about how the surface should be treated before it's sealed. I think I'll just leave it steel wooled aluminum with markings and clear coat the lot.

One other interesting discovery is that formers are easily clad with the tooling foil. Just use the former as the pattern and work the aluminum around it and trim. Do the other side and glue the sandwich together. It's a nice touch.

Anyone know if there's a large scale model of a Tante Ju (Ju 52)? Just think how spectacular a 1:33 cardmetal model that would make!

Best regards, Gil

P.S. "the need to increase the the width normal to the corrugation axis to account for the corrugating shrinkage." means perpendicular to the corrugation axis (too much CAD speak!).
  13. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I got that, about the "normal" bit, you old cad - what I couldn't figure out was how you calculated the rest. Still full of admiration! -L.