Name Game

Pitchwife

Dreamer
steamhead said:
Hey! Just curious to know the whys and wherefores of peoples user names on the forum ("Pitchwife" got me thinking about this...). My name? I get high on steamers the way acidheads did on acid...How about you guys??

Gus (LC&P).:wave:
Hi Gus & everyone. I guess that I do have a fairly obscure handle, so here's the story behind it:
First a little background.
More than 35 years ago, the last month of high school, I was in a car accident. Since that time I have been a paraplegic. I don't mention it much for a couple of reasons. First, because I try not to let it interfere with my life any more than I possibly can. I don't want (in fact I can't stand) pity. I take care of myself, I have from the very beginning. I've lived and traveled all over the country, and feel that I have had a fairly rich life.

This brings me to my namesake, Pitchwife. I don't know how many of you read Sci-Fi and Fantasy, but I chose my handle after reading the dual trilogy by Steven Donaldson The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. In The One Tree, of the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, there is a race of giants who travel the seas in ships made from solid granite. The ships are built and repaired by artisans known as pitchwives, who make the stone pliable, to be shaped and then hardened again. This particular ship's pitchwife is a very deformed man who, nonetheless, is married to the captain of the ship, a very powerful and desirable woman, and he is a valued member of the crew. At one point he says, "A woman...looks upon a cripple with pity and kindness, perhaps, and with friendship, but not desire." While some may take this as a negative statement, I understood what he really meant. If you are crippled, it is from self pity, not from any physical condition, that the only way that you can truly be crippled is in your own mind. I have never thought of myself like that but had never heard it put into words quite as elequantly, and so, after reading that passage, I became Pitchwife.

steamhead

Hi,

Pitchwife, that clears that up. Good for you!!
Still a lot of guys out there we'd like to hear from...!

Gus (LC&P).

91rioja

Rioja is a region in Spain that produces a great wine. 1991 was, in my opinion their best wine producing year, thus 91Rioja. Yeah, kinda simple, but I really do like the wine!

Chris

Relic

Relic is really only half, kinda like a first name. The other half is duke, relic duke.
Comes from two T.V shows in the 70's, The Beachcombers (a Canadian favorite) and The Dukes of Hazzard. The Relic part is from the crusty character who drove a black jet boat and made up his own rules, And the duke part was from the similarity between my driving style (in my famous black 69 Skyrocket, a 69 Skylark with a Old's rocket engine) and the duke boys. Oh the stories I could tell, but whenever I do I can hear THE BOSS in the background singin' Glory Days.

viperman

Viperman - ever since I first saw a Dodge Viper, probably about the time they were first produced back in 92, I've had a major obsession with them (more so since the first time I sat in a 96 GTS). Gave myself the nickname Viperman since I personally know no-one who is as obsessed or knows as much about the car as me (I am only 23 btw - turn 24 in late June)

I remember the first time I had seen a Viper, it was in an old computer game, the first need for speed by road and track. Lots of obsession with Vipers after that, dont know what changed. Nice to see someone my own age into trains too! Cool background,

Cory

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Just look at my avatar.......That should explain a lot.
BUT!....Looks like in 2008....Thats gonna change. (truex1fan?....ninetyninefan?....twentyfourfan..DON'T THINK SO!)
I could just cut the eighty off the front........

Pitchwife

Dreamer
eightyeightfan1 said:
Just look at my avatar.......That should explain a lot.
BUT!....Looks like in 2008....Thats gonna change. (truex1fan?....ninetyninefan?....twentyfourfan..DON'T THINK SO!)
I could just cut the eighty off the front........
south park, eightyeightfan1, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ausien

When I came across the gauge, I was new to puters(still am)(if it dont go, I yell for my lads) I went through the many pages off post and I liked what I saw, and regesterd, when I came across the user name bit I was going to do what most old farts do, and use my name, one of my lads looked at it and told ne in no uncertian terms what he thought of that idea, so I thought about it a bit and thought..... well give the guys and girls here a little info about me with out going to my profile, I live in Australia and I moddel N scale, so I came up with the brillant name AUSIEN...... clever aint Isign1 sign1 sign1

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Well let's see here. I have a few screen names.

LiveSteamer - I picked this name because I am very active with Live Steam Trains. So I figured it would be a good name.

Chessie6459 - The reason I got LiveSteamer changed to Chessie6459 is because last year I found out that my dad was the Conductor of this Diesel on the Chessie System.

SD80MAC - Well even though I am not that crazy about the 20th Century Diesels I like these and chose this name.

Each of these screen names are on different forums. But I mostly stick with LiveSteamer.:D

steamhead

Hey guys!! I see only about one in ten that has visited the thread has posted his story. Let's hear from the rest of you...!

Gus (LC&P).

RailRon

Nothing spectacular with my name, too:

My first name is Ron(ald), and I love almost everything which has to do something with rails, so: RailRon.

Ron

Well, I like to concentrate on what lies ahead, and not dwell on that which has been left behind, that we can't change anyway . ( Straight-(ahead) ). I Love trains, both real & model ( Track ). :rolleyes: Hence, " Straight-Track " . Joe :wave:

While I'm not a doctor, Holliday is a variation of my last name. I've always been interested in the Old West. Mrs. Doc and I used to participate in chili cookoffs, using the team name of Chili Bordello. Our theme was a full front western saloon wherein I alternated between playing the barkeep and a gunfighter. Not suprising, somewhere along the way I picked up the nickname Doc.
Doc