Name and plans of a cupboard for a layout?

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Evan, May 8, 2006.

  1. Evan

    Evan Member


    I recall seeing a while ago a design for a layout that's in a cupboard that folds down. Can someone help, please.

    1) What's the name of the cupboard system? I know they're used for the fold down beds we see on US TV programmes / in movies, but haven't a clue as tp what it's called.

    2) Does anyone has a site where it shows a design of this? I've got a plan for a large HO-type one with winch etc, but I'm looking to build a smaller one for N scale layout.

  2. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    The design doesn't have to be anything specific, as long as it fits the space available. Google "carl arendt" for lots of small and micro layouts that would fit.

    The bed system is called a "Murphy Bed", and it can fold down on the long side, or short (end). is one place where you can get plans and hardware.

  3. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    I think you are thinking of a "murphy bed." Kalmbach's book 6 Small Railroads You Can Build had that plan in it if my memory is correct. It was basically a 4' x 8', or 5' x 9' with a staging leg off to one side at the wall end. The staging yard was on a bookshelf at the same height as the layout when folded down into operating position. The trains could then be stored on the staging yard, and powered up to come onto the layout when operation was desired. They could be run off the layout onto shelf when the session was over.
  4. shortliner

    shortliner Member

    Evan - there was one in either MR or RMC - N gauge with a curved back track that climbed a trestle - it folded into a tall upright cabinet like a wide grandfather clock - sorry I don't have a name or date. Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

Share This Page