Nail file

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by woodone, Mar 8, 2007.

1. woodone

woodone Member

Here is something that works well. A finger nail file (board). You can cut them down for a size that you need or whatever. They are stiff so they will work as a sanding stick. There are two sides, one is fine the other is course. Good for getting that window (or door) opening just the right size.
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

They also come in a bag of 25 from Dollarama (at least, at the one near me...!).

3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, cheap and disposable. Their even free if you can sneak them out of your wife's vanity without her knowing :D... They can get really costly if she catches you though.stooges8
  4. COX 47

COX 47 Member

I pick my wifes up when she throws them away they can still be used for modeling...cox 47
  5. woodone

woodone Member

The trick Don, is DON'T get caught!sign1 That CEO will cut the funding of a RR.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I used a metal nail file to make my first hand-laid turnout. I was in high-school at the time and had more time than money or tools. This is not recommended.
  7. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

I steal my wife's nail files, when she's "done" with them, of course. Though I have a big bag of sanding sticks from the LHS, they're just about the same.
  8. PWRR-2207

PWRR-2207 Rogue Islander

Cleaning Files

If you do have metal files like the one shown below (the file is almost 20 years old now), you can keep them clean and working by buying and using a stainless steel bristled wire brush:

BEFORE (The red stuff is plastic from detailing the chimneys on a Walthers model, not rust.)
    File before stainless wire brush cleaning.jpg

AFTER brushing with the ridges to clean the valleys
    File after stainless wire brush cleaning.jpg

Why "stainless steel"? It does not rust like cheaper iron or steel brushes and lasts a lot longer than a copper wire brush plus stainless steel does not leave copper residue.