N-scale whith no room.

Puppetengineer

May 6, 2003
Vancouver Island B.C.
Visit site
:confused: Ive just moved into a new place whith no room for the old N scale train Any room saving tips? Its not the house is small but our rooms are full of furniture all ready. Where to put it so its out of the way and not resting on a shelf unused for years? :rolleyes: Thanks

M.A.D.

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi Kiddo

You could build your layout on a pieceof plywood, say 2'x 4', and then when you want to run your trains, you could put it on a table in the room you want to work in, and when your done, you could stick it away in a closet or behind a couch or under a bed.

I'm glad your getting a chance to build a layout.

TrainClown :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

alex_mrrkb

Nov 13, 2002
Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
www.mrrkb.com
Same thing here buddy: I moved from a big appartment where I had my train room with a huge 7x3 N scale layout, to a smaller house where there was no room from trains.

Trust me, this is the best thing that could occur to me !

As I really wanted to have trains, I searched and searched, and found the perfect deal:

The laundry room is quite small, but still had some space for the trains. What I'll do is quite simple: build a 2x4 layout on a 3/4 plywood. The plywood is attached to the wall using hinges. Whenever I want to work on the layout, I unlock the top on the layout, it folds open and I can work ! When I'm done, I fold it up and it doesn't take space anymore !

I understand that my explainations are quite unclear, so as soon as I start building this thing, I'll post picture here if you'd like.

The biggest advantage for me was the I could start over on a new layout. The fact that the layout will be smaller is also a great plus: I'll have more chances to complete it in reasonnable time.

Good luck with your project !

Welcome to the no-space club! I had a similar problem when i had to leave my HO layout behind in a move to an area where due to soil conditions houses do not come supplied with basements.

Switched to N scale and built a 3' x 5' layout - still too big. Now do 2' x 4' to my own modular needs; this seems to be a good size as they fit in my car and in my closet. And you can still get a lot of N scale on them; will soon be doing a Z scale in the same size. Happy modelling!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
In all my years of modeling I've seen them in;

>>>the water heater closet, dude actually built his layout over his water heater. He just ducked in and it surrounded him. He used a long bridge in front so that he could have others enjoy the view.

>>>coffee table, so many that you can take it from there.

>>>brief case.

>>>in the dining room table under a glass top.

>>>around the bathroom, complete with drawbridge at the door. Throttle was mounted right above the T paper.

>>>on casters to roll out from under a bed.

Finally, on a door like mine. Make it secure enough and just hang it from the hinges. Make sure you place an appropriate door stop to keep from squishin' yer LPBs:eek: ;) :p :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The late RWG Bryant was a 2mm (OOO or N Scale) pioneer and built a series of layouts in either guitar or banjo cases.
I have seen a couple of layouts where the track was laid on a lip formed by having the bottom half of the wall panelling come an extra 4 or so inches into the room. (not good if the rec room is already finished)
My current layout is on top of the bookshelves. I built one years ago on a 1"x12"x8' plank laid on top of shelving; the plank warped across the layout -- at least stuff was tipped toward the center.

CSX6638

Jul 24, 2002
FLORIDA
Visit site
I had the same problem went from a big house with a full finished basement to a small house without a basement, so the big HO layout went and I now have a nice 2' x 4' N scale coffee table layout that I can move anywhere in the house.
I have seen layouts built on casters that slide under a bed, one friend built his like a murphy pull down bed, one I seen was built in a modified clothes closet, the modified top door folded down and the track was on the inside of the door and the rolling stock was kept on shelves inside the closet, the top door was supported by opening the lower doors. You could build one that hangs on the wall like the wall mounted ironing boards. I am sure you will find a way.