N scale uncoupling magnets placement

Anachron

I have just started on this small N scale Timesaver, and I have no experince from MT magnematic couplers.
So my question to you guys is: Where do I install uncpupling magnets? :confused:
and if dousent the cars uncouple everytime I drive over the magnet?

Here is a pic of my layout:

Attachments

• Photo007 copy.jpg
    Photo007 copy.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 267

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Don't do it!

Ok, that's maybe a little dramatic, but our local club is in the process of removing all the magnets from our HO Timesaver display module.

They seem to be more trouble than they are worth. The only time they do not uncouple cars is when you need them too. With all the back-and-forth switching moves, you will have cars coming undone at the worst time. The magnets are ok for sidings or yards where you are really only moving in once to drop stuff, but on the Timesaver they are a nuisance.

If there is a more reliable way to uncouple in N scale (using a bamboo skewer works for HO) I would highly recommend that instead.

Andrew

jon-monon

screwysquirrel said:
well, with Rapido's I use a toothpick.

Ahhhhh so a toothpick is actually an N scale bamboo skewer :D :D :D

I saw a MR article recently touting a Radio Shack pack of magnets that's supposed to work better for N scale decoupling magnets. I wrote the RS# down somewhere.... :rolleyes: Check last couple months of MR if you want to see.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Andrew, were you using permenant magnets or electro? I am going to end up with a yard that is a little hard to reach and was hoping to be able to uncouple cars remotly.

Russ Bellinis

One trick to uncouple with magnets remotely without problems is to mount the magnet on a bell crank that is operated by a choke cable. When you don't need to uncouple, the magnet is swung down out of the way. When you want to uncouple, spot the car over the magnet, and swing it up with the cable. After the car is uncoupled, and the train pulls away, the magnet can be swung down out of the way again.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Clark,

The magnets we are doing away with are the permanent-between-the-rails type. Electro-magnets and/or Russ' suggestion for swing-away magnets will solve the unwanted uncoupling problems, but you are still restricted as to where the cars can be uncoupled. This is still potentially a problem on a small switching layout such as the Timesaver.

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Anachron's original question was about magnetic uncoupling on an Nscale Timesaver - I stick to my original answer, and say uncouple manually.

For Clark's application in a hard-to-reach yard, I would say - try it and see. I think that the electro- or permanent magnets are much better suited for this type of application where predictable uncoupling in the same spot is required over and over. Well, you'll get "the same spot" part, but the predictability is still up in the air in my experience ;) :D

Andrew

Anachron

Thx guys for the input!
I have already tried to operate the layout with just a wooden barbeque stick to uncouple the cars and woorks just fine for me :)