N Scale Trees - Cheap Fast & Easy

Drew1125

This is a flower that grows in our garden called seedum. It's very hearty, & is a perinial that comes back year after year. As far as I know, it ranges all over the eastern U.S. It has a flower on a long stalk, with lacy, pink flowers in the summer. In the fall, they turn a lovely brown, & can be gathered in the winter...
Here is a pic of two of the stalks...

Attachments

• mvc-015f.jpg
    mvc-015f.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 356

Drew1125

I snip off a piece, to represent a tree armature about 20-30 N scale feet tall.
I remove the dried flower material, & I have a nice bare tree ready for planting as is, or for attaching foliage...

Attachments

• mvc-016f.jpg
    mvc-016f.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 350

Drew1125

For foliage, I stick some Woodland Scenics poly fiber on the ends of the branches, & spray it with flat black spray paint.

Attachments

• mvc-018f.jpg
    mvc-018f.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 343

Drew1125

Those two stalks of seedum yeilded about 20 N scale trees of various sizes, shapes, & colors...
I put them in a scrap of styrofoam, & then sprayed them with hair spray to bond everything really good.

Attachments

• mvc-023f.jpg
    mvc-023f.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 327

Drew1125

After that, they're ready for trimming (if necessary) & planting.

Attachments

• mvc-024f.jpg
    mvc-024f.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 318

Pooh Bah
Interesting.
I saw a clinic on trees where a fellow used the other part of the sedum (the tips) to make the ends of a tree and glued them to an armature made from telephone wire. This was painted green and then covered or dipped in ground foam.
He suggested harvesting in spring after it had been thoroughly dried by winter snows.