N scale track code question

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
im thinking about starting an N scale layout, what is the most common code for N track? i want to be sure to get somthing that i know will match up with any or most switch's, and that any engine or rail car i might pick up somewhere will run on, or is there differant codes for N scale? im going with flex track where i can, and will be making a nice switching yard to.

i know knowing about N scale, i was in HO as a kid, and now am in O. but looking to start in N scale.

when i started back into trains, i had lots of HO, well i got new track, and found that all my engines would not run on them right, (they was over 20 years old)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Yep, there are different codes for N scale also. I believe the most common is code 80. Welcome to N scale.

n2trains

Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
In n-scale, the most common is code 80. The code 55 is more prototypically sized. These are the 2 most common codes, but there's also code 40, 70 and 100 that I know of, but they are fairly hard to come by. I, personally, am going to use code 55 when I actually get to building my layout (still in a condo so it's impossible atm)

ejen34

Aug 6, 2006
Brewer, ME
I use c55 around my turntable and on some sidings and on the mainlines (majority of layout) I use c80. Welcome to N Scale ozzy :thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Ya, there are pretty much 2 codes that most use for N scale, CODE 80 and CODE 55

CODE 80 has black ties
CODE 55 has brown ties and is more realistic (not to say that you cant paint CODE 80 rails brown because that is always a possibility)

I will be using CODE 55 for my new module Steel Mill Complex and my N scale layout in the planning stages for a future layout.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Peco make code 80 and what they call code 55. Their code 55 is actually a code 80 rail with an extra base. On the outside of the rail it looks like code 55, but between the rails it has the depth of code 80, and it joins with code 80 rails, but not with anybody else's code 55. You can run anything on it.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
You can run anything on it.
That's because
between the rails it has the depth of code 80
more or less. Most significantly, the fact that the rail is built into the ties means that it doesn't need molded spikes on the inside edge to hold it in place, and it's those spikes on Atlas C55 that hit deep flanges.

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Atlas Code 55 is a problem if you have deep flanged vehicles. However, it is easy and relatively cheap to buy replacement wheels/trucks if you do have deep flanged wheels on any items of rolling stock. Most manufacturers these days use wheels that can run on Atlas Code 55, or (Microtrains) sell items with both types of wheel supplied.
Peco is very well respected but, because it is imported from the UK, it is more expensive than Atlas, and is based on UK railway prototypes (this affects things like the spacing of ties, the types of rail chairs, and the layout of switches/turnouts). In N Scale this is of course not so noticeable than it would be in larger scales. Nevertheless - even though I was an ardent user of Peco 00 (UK equivalent of HO) when in Britain; I have opted for Atlas 55 now I'm modelling SP over here!

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
To me, the most realistic looking flex track is MicroEngineering code 40 track. It takes a little bit more care in laying, but I think the results are worth it. It seems to run everything that will run on Atlas code 55.

my thoughts, your choices

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
ok, now a question about roadbed, c[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ork Roadbed, or [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Woodland Scenics foam?

witch do you prefer? and why?
[/FONT]