N Scale Sulphuric Acid Cars

GNRail

Jun 18, 2003
Sudbury,ON
Visit site
I have been lurking around as a guest for the last year or so. The Scratchin' and Bashin' section motivated me to try my hand at it. The two main employers in our area generate a large amount of acid as byproducts. This acid is shipped all over North America. Looking at many of the railfan sites I observed they seem to be a very common car all over. I was a little surprised that none of the manufaturers make a ready to run or kit version. After a lot of serching I was able to find something close. The Model Power 40' chemical tank car was similar to the 36' car. I have taken a before and a few after pictures.

The first is the Model Power tank car.

Attachments

• iox2254.jpg
    iox2254.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 158

GNRail

Jun 18, 2003
Sudbury,ON
Visit site

I haven't been as adventurous as attempting a whole acid plant. I am actually building a loadout facility as part of a N-Trak module. The decision to continue with that layout design now was based on finding the acid cars. As things progress on the module I will post a few pictures.

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Great work!!

Bachmann has a very nice tank car very similar (possibly the same as) to the one you did but not in that paint scheme. They call it their silverseries. I model the 1950 and I saw the single dome tank car on E-bay and bought one. Much to my dismay, instead of getting a 1950's style tank car, it was like yours (kind of modern). This is the photo that they show of the single dome tank car.

Attachments

• tank0.jpg
    tank0.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 125

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
It's actually not a bad car. It has metal handrails, blackened nickle silver wheelsets and decent trucks. They cost about $8 each. I think Gold Medal Models or Plano makes a nice photo etched detail set that you could use on this car. Here is the end shot of the box.

Attachments

• tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 120

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I add my welcome too GNR. When you can't find what you want then kit bashing and scratchbuilding comes into play and that really opens up the railroad world to us.
Nice work on the tank car.