N scale steel mill

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to the forum....

Besides Alkem steel module, and a 5'x9' layout in model railroader, is there any good n scale layouts that have been done with a steel mill theme? I'm banging my head against the wall trying to find a plan I like ( I even have maps of the prototype). Currently, I have a 2' by 14' space for it.

" Please help me o-be-one-kanobi, your my only hope!"

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Here are a couple of photos of Robins Steel Mill. It is quite expansive but real good. I know he won't mind me posting it as he is proud of it as I am.

Attachments

• steel%20mill%201.jpg
    steel%20mill%201.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 342

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Welcome aboard csx! Nice to have you join us! Its hard to beat the Alkem module. I model in HO but bought an N scale magazine that profiled this fine scene because I was so impressed. Do you plan to model most of the Steel Works (raw materials to production of ingots, etc) or are you thinking of condensing it to just part of the operation?

Maybe there's no magic to the track plan beyond deciding which structures you plan to include and where you want them relative to each other. Run track as appropriate to serve each building. That's the easy answer from a guy who's forte is definitely NOT track planning! :)

Dick, those photos are so cool! I really like the lighting effects on that huge furnace complex. Here's a black and white of my furnaces. I've modelled them but they're in the background and not actually served by my layout's tracakge. I do have three spurs leading into a rolling mill in the foreground though.

csx, keep us up to date on what you decide to do!
Ralph

Attachments

• loadbw.jpg
    loadbw.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 340

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi csxengineer and welcome to the gauge. Lots of great guys here to advise you on your N-scale project, have a lot of fun.

shamus

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
I am in the proces of putting together Plans for Modeling the USS duluth plant .I Have sites for Pictures of individual buildings and a topographical overview of the area with original Track schematics.The Nice thing about this particular operation is that the ore delivery area was seperated from the plant and had conveyors that ran to the mill itself.It includes a stamp mill, rolling mill ,coke plant,powerhouse,open hearth,and for the coke plant waste it even sports the Atlas Cement plant on site.
Try http://www.pca.state.mn.us/cleanup/sites/ussteel.html
Yhis will give you the topomap and track plan along with an ariel view of the plant.Just let me know if you are interested in additional sites. Have fun,this ones gonna be awhile in the scratchbuilding :)

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi,
There's a group of HO modular modelers out of Raleigh, NC who call themselves the "Sippin' 'n Switchin' Society". At a show, i think it was in Winston-Salem, NC, they had a steel mill display that was very impressive. I'll look tonight to see if i have any film of it. Has anyone else seen this or are any of you "SnSS" guys listening in?
Regards,
Ted