N Scale Steam

JonfromElmCity

I am considering purchasing an N Scale Steam Locomotive. I know the Bachmann Spectrum Consolidation and Light Mountain are good choices, but I am looking for advice regarding some of the smaller locos available.

Anyone have a good or bad experience with the MDC/Athearn engines? 4-4-0? 2-6-0?

Suggestions about others?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

railohio

The Atlas 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 have a good reputation although they are from a considerably older era. I don't think there's any decent steam that's smaller than the Spectrum 2-8-0 that's suitable for most of the 20th century.

JonfromElmCity

Brian Schmidt said:
The Atlas 0-6-0 and 2-6-0 have a good reputation although they are from a considerably older era. I don't think there's any decent steam that's smaller than the Spectrum 2-8-0 that's suitable for most of the 20th century.
I am not limiting myself to the 20th Century so I will take a look at the Atlas locos.

Thanks.

Delamaize

JonfromElmCity said:
.....experience with the MDC/Athearn engines? 4-4-0? 2-6-0?

I have a MDC 2-6-0 and it is awesome, once it gets broke in, it runs super smooth, and relieable. I love mine.

skipgear

The Atlas 2-6-0 is a very good running little loco. It is originally made by Tomix and imported by Atlas. It pulls good enough to drag a prototypical load and the paint and detail is clean.

Tony

oleirish

I have an Bachmann 4-8-4 W/oil tender total length 8-1/2" long and runs like an swiss watch and will pull 30 cares on the flat.It is and dandy locomotive.
JIM

JonfromElmCity

skipgear said:
The Atlas 2-6-0 is a very good running little loco. It is originally made by Tomix and imported by Atlas. It pulls good enough to drag a prototypical load and the paint and detail is clean.

Tony
Forgive my ignorance. What would you consider a prototypical load?

3 Overton Passenger Cars?

Does anyone have any problems with any of the locomotives mentioned getting over switch frogs?

Thanks!!!

skipgear

I did a coupler conversion on the Atlas Mogul for a customer at the shop I work at. It pulled a full set of 5 Athearn shorty Overtons on level track with no problems at all. I didn't test it on a grade but I would say it wouldn't have a problem at all with the same cars on a 2% grade.

The other under estimated and amazing puller is the Bachmann Old Time American 4-4-0. I just picked up a DOA one off Ebay for pennies, sent it to Bachmann + $15 and got a new one in it's place. It will pull 15 cars on level track with a slight struggle, 10 cars is effortless. The most recent releases of the American's that I have seen run very good and don't wobble like the early cardboard box models.

Tony

I have the MP 2-6-0 which is a good one don't think the 4-4-0 is out yet,the bachman 2-8-0 is very good but there 4-8-2 is a bad puller....rich

skipgear

The Model Power 4-4-0 came out before the the Mogul. They have been out for a little over a year now. There were some early releases that had problems with too short or broken wires in the drawbar but more recent releases cured the problem. You can tell by a metal clip on the underside of the drawbar added to help contain the wires in the drawbar.

It has limited pulling power, 2-3 Overton coaches is about it on any kind of a grade, but that is about all the real thing would pull anyhow. There was talk of MP adding traction tires to it as they are doing with their other loco's. They have since decided against it so as not to compromise the electrical pickup of the loco. Others have added traction tires to it (the traction tired driver set from the Pacific fits) and got much improved pulling power but also ended up replacing the tender with an all wheel pickup from a Bachmann or Kato tender to keep it from stalling on turnouts and bad track.

MP has said that the next production run of their loco's is supposed to have an improved all wheel needle pin axle pickup tender so maybe there is still hope for a traction tired American.

Tony

Will_annand

Our club has the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, it is by far the BEST steamer we have. The club has 9 steamers, everything from MiniTrix to Atlas to Model Power.

I recently picked up the Model Power 4-4-0, it is a sweet little steamer. It runs prototypically, in that it can pull about 4-6 cars without problem, but more will cause it to slip.

I put 4 old Overland Passenger cars on that puppy and it looks great.