N Scale Steam Locomotive

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
The availability of quality steam models is something that's always been sorely lacking for N scale modelers...
However, for the last couple of years, that is finally starting to turn around...
Bachman has introduced a couple of models in it's Spectrum line that are very high quality, & affordable models...
Another new introduction is an N scale shay made by Atlas...
Also, there's the Kato 2-8-2 Mikado, which is a very nice model...
The selection still isn't anything close to what's available in HO, but it IS improving...
I'd still like to see more old-time steam made available in N scale...Moguls, 10-wheelers, & Americans...I'd love to see QUALITY versions of these made available...

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Atlas recently released their new 2-6-0 Mogul in N-scale. This model has been around for a while (originally sold by Micro Ace). I've read that's it's supposed to be pretty good.

With a little tweaking, sometimes one of the older, cheaper Bachmann steam locos can be made to run adequately. I have a Bachmann 0-6-0 switcher that runs fairly well (after some minor work), and a 4-4-0 American than ran well right out of the box. Of course, they're not as good as the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0.

Kato makes a number of steam engines that are supposed to be really good (Kato is probably the best N-scale manufacturer). But most of their steam engines are based on Japanese designs. Check out http://www.nscaledivision.com.

whitegt6

Jun 4, 2004
France on the Luxembourg border
Does anyone know where I can pick up dimensions for Us outline 4-6-2 chassis. I've picked up a Langley white metal kit for a rebuild Merchant Navy class loco ( British Railways ). The recommended chassis is a Minitrix Britainna class, which are relatively rare and EXPENSIVE, so I'm wondering if theres a US RTR that can be adapted.

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
Kato has some good Mikado's, and Bachmann is beginning to make good steam locos.

Why don't MT make steam locos? Maybe because they only know how to do those cars and couplers! :D