N Scale Sound for Diesels

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by traingeeks, Feb 4, 2008.

1. traingeeks

traingeeks New Member

Is there anything out there for the Kato modern locos such as the AC4400, C44-9W, SD 70MAC, SD 80MAC, SD 90MAC? I found this one on ebay but don't want to spend this much on it. Kato AC4400. I just bought and installed the Digtrax Zephyr with DT400R and UR91. Everything is working fine but just like the sounds from locos. I have seen many on YouTube.com but in HO scale. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. This is the greatest hobby in the world (woodwork, painting, model building, electrical). :thumb:
  2. zachary

zachary Member

mrc is the only manufacturer of n scale sound decoders at this point but i bet more will be jumping on the n scale sound bandwagon
  3. sd80mac

sd80mac New Member

The Micro Loksound decoders will fit comfortably in the Kato n-scale line of hood diesels. I am planning on installing these in a few Kato units myself, I just have to figure out how to mount the speaker...

4. dwight77

dwight77 Member

slekjr & sd80mac:
    Is the Loksound decoder only sound? or does it control the locomotive also?
    I currently have some Kato SD70 with Digitrax decoders installed. If Loksound is sound only, are you saying there is room to add it to a Kato locomotive that already had a decoder installed?
    Thanks for you help.
  5. KMInspector

KMInspector New Member

I don't know about the Locksound decoders, but I have two Kato SD70M's that have sound in them from MRC. They work OK, but I do see problems with the speed control and they do have a consistent problem with making contact, they stall a little to much for my taste. It almost seems like they have to warm up. I know this is basically the first generation of sound decoders and they will only improve from here. So my experience may be my own and not typical.
  6. mcbane666

mcbane666 Member

Are you using their controller or one by another brand?

And if you are, what do you think of it?