N scale radius question

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
My freind is planning an n scale layout along two walls forming an L shape with loops at both L ends. We are both new to n scale and want to know if a loop, like half of a dogbone layout would fit in a 2'X2' square. What radius would fit and would it be better to go wider?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
if your going to be using Code 80 track then an 11" radius would be the maximum size radius you could use with a 2'x2'. I would suggest makeing the table wider at the spots you want a loop in, specially if you want to run larger locos. I would try and get a 15" or 16.25" (code 55 track) radius in there. The table at those points would need to be around 34-36" wide for those radius to fit.

I know my minimum radius track will be a 20" radius curve on my steel mill layout

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
2x2 square? You're looking at needing a 11" or 12" radius curve or less.

Wider is always better too when it comes to curves It's also depends on what kinda of engines and rolling stock you plan to use. I model in n-scale and use code 55 track. For me, 16.25" is the bare minimum I go with in hidden areas, while 19" is "public" minimum so trains don't overhang the track to much.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
so trains don't overhang the track to much.

I forgot to mention that, good point Shaun, trains do look much better on wider radius track.

with a 19" radius you would need about 40" of table to make a loop but that is the very minimum and I would suggest a 42-44" table where the loops are so that the track is not right up against the wall or right on the edge of the table

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
I am not 100% sure what he will run but he likes early diesels, not to big but he does like steam, again no huge steam, but the reason for N scale was Ho got to big and he had no space so he wants to keep it small, how about 2'7"? He will run some passenger cars but he isn't tooo worried about how they look on sharp curves, more about the operation itself.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
I am not 100% sure what he will run but he likes early diesels, not to big but he does like steam, again no huge steam, but the reason for N scale was Ho got to big and he had no space so he wants to keep it small, how about 2'7"? He will run some passenger cars but he isn't tooo worried about how they look on sharp curves, more about the operation itself.​

that should work if hes not going to be running long cars or big locos then. 2'7" is 31" and thats just barely enough for a 15" radius loop. I would try and make that 2'7" into 2'9" if you can, just so that you have a 1 1/2" from the wall and 1 1/2" from the table edge where the loop goes instead of 1/2" from wall and 1/2" from table edge. Other then that it should work :thumb: :thumb:

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
If you can get the curves up to 14.5 inches or more you are getting close to being able to run anything, though there may be issues in looking at it. So you disguise the sharpests turns, and have nice pretty cosmetic curves where you can see them.

Here is a link:
NMRA RP-11 Curvature & Rolling Stock
to the NMRA's recommendations.

nolink5750

Oct 12, 2007
The radius of a curve is figured to the center of the track. And if you are going to lay down roadbed you have to add that. So an 11'' radius would be max for a 2' board. If you can make your board larger but maybe not much larger, what you could do is use flex track and make your own radius you want. Take a straight piece of 1/4" by 1" piece of wood. Put a pin hole dead center at one end. measure "X" amount of inches and drill another hole. That become the center of your curve. Then you can lay your roadbed and your track on that. Remember, that is the center of the track. If you are using roadbed you have to add another 5/8" (+ or -) on both sides of the circle. Thus 22" radius + 1 1/4" = 23 1/4" circle. Hope that helps...........