N-scale locomotive parts

roryglasgow

Does anyone know where N-scale locomotive parts can be purchased? Or, at least parts that can be used in N-scale locos. I'm looking for can motors, gears, and wheels, mainly.

Thanks!

-Rory

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Rory,
What make of N-scale are you looking for.
Shamus
waver.gif

NARA Member #24
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

roryglasgow

Shamus,

Nothing in particular... I've been brainstorming about scratch building a locomotive, but I don't know where to get motors, wheels and gears. I have considered cannibalizing my Bachmann 2-8-0, but I don't particular care for its wheels and motor...

-Rory

billk

Rory - try Northwest Short Lines
www.nwsl.com
Their site seemed to be a little hard to navigate, but they do have a search function -- try searching for motor, gear, etc.
Where/what to you program?

roryglasgow

billk,

Wow! That place is a treasure trove! I looked them up on Walther's website, and have been paging through their entire product line. They have a lot of good stuff, though most of it is for larger scales. I'm thinking, though, that some things can be adapted for use in N-scale. Thanks for the tip!

I live in Huntsville, TX, but I work for a small consulting company in Austin. I mostly program in Delphi and write business applications. My current project is a program called DOORway, which is a donor management database application for non-profit organizations (although it is not necessarily limited to just non-profit organizations).

I see by your profile that you are a GPS programmer. Do you write navigation software?

-Rory

[I went back and edited this message because I realized that I had messed up several words...for example, using "that" for "they." Where has my brain gone?!?!??]

[This message has been edited by roryglasgow (edited 06-30-2001).]

billk

Rory - Glad the NWSL site helped. re GPS, I do software for the GPS receiver itself. Right now the stuff that locates and tracks the signals from the satellites, a few years ago software that determined latitude/longitude and how to get from here to there. We (Rockwell collins) make most of the GPS equipment for the military. At one time there was a bunch doing it for trains but I never worked on that.
Regards Bill K

roryglasgow

Bill,

I WAS wondering if you did anything on trains... Sounds like interesting work. Back when vehicle navigation systems were still a pipe dream, I thought it would be cool to get into that. I used to brainstorm ways of tracking one's location using the odometer and a compass...hehehehe... Not perfectly accurate, but it was fun to fantasize!

I did some digging on NWSL's site and found some Sagami can motors that would fit the bill nicely. Unfortunately, they are being discontinued. Hopefully there will still be a few available... If not, I can probably cram a larger motor into the shell I have. Now if I only had the time....
smile.gif

-Rory

[This message has been edited by roryglasgow (edited 06-30-2001).]