N scale Layout Plans

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by dwyaneward, Jan 16, 2003.

1. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

Hi All,

I have been lurking for awhile and thought I see what you thought of my plans.

I have just started on this design and will be looking for others input as I am a newbie.

I have setup an web site so check it out --> My Site

I am open to any input as to type of industries to add. Presently I am freelancing this design as I have no particular favorite RR. I am leaning towards the KCS.

2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hi Dwayne,
    I tried accessing your site through AOL and IE but got "Page not found". Maybe its just me but if you don't get much response to your post it may be because folks can't see the plan.
    Nontechnically yours! :)
  3. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

4. rockislandmike

Go for the KCS. Not many KCS layouts I've seen, but I like the looks of their equipment. Plain and simple.

Here's a link to a quick spreadsheet I put together of all KCS-served industries (obtained from the industry database listing at the Ry-ops-industrySIG yahoo group, it's about 1960 or so, before the acquisition/merger era; if you're modeling later, I can get you more info on acquired railroads since then).

5. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

Thanks for the info rockislandmike!!!

Ralph, sorry you did not get thru. Try rockislandmike's link.

I have this site running on an old AMD 200 mhz PC via an wireless dsl 384kbps and up.

Thanks Again
  6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I think it would be better if the switching yard was at the top on the long straight section. Other than that, it lools great.
  7. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

Clerk thanks for the reply.

The switching yard is actually open staging 3EB, 3WB, 1 for continuous running.

My thought were to put two (switching/division/classification) yards against the door wall on each side of the door after coming around the small pennisula's. The pennisula's would possiblilty be places to put some local switching industry's and use the back/end walls for other switching/passing and railfanning areas.

I have also toy with the ideal of a second level sometime in the future, utilizing an nolix.

I planning on building this in sections. I have already build the framing for 3 modules two straights and a corner. Next will be the framing for two temporary return loop modules so I can start running trains soon.
  8. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

The only reason I suggest the switching yard on the straight stretch is because I just can't see switching cars around the two curves.
  9. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

I miss inform you in the previsous post there are 6EB and 6WB staging positions utilizing 6 tracks isolating/separating E&W in the middle of the door via a dead section of track.

I am puzzled about the impact of the curves. I guess I do not understand. I do not see alot of activity here. I have seen other published plans with curved staging.

I do value your and others input. I have no experience in this area or any other area in model railroading operations. I have yet to attend an op session, all my info comes from reading and lurking on various forums, maybe I should attend some op sessions before attempting an further design.

10. rockislandmike

You also might want to pick up Armstrong's "Operations for Model Railroading" or whatever the heck it's called. An excellent resource, and invaluable to look at before designing one's final track plan IMHO.
  11. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

Armstrong's book

I think the book you're referring to is

"Track Planning for Realistic Operation"

ISBN 0-89024-504-5

I wish I'd got my copy before I started laying track
    but I'm quite happy with what i have now.

I would really recommend it, although I'm not sure if
    its still in print ( I got mine 2nd hand). You could try a
    local library for it, they might be able to get it through
    inter-library loans.

12. rockislandmike

Yeh yeh, that's the one. An EXCELLENT book.
  13. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

Got the book and have read it.

My problem is I seem to learn better by trial&error and hands on.

14. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

yeah me too,

guess thats why this is railroad no.5 and the only one
    I've come vaguely close to operating!

Is the yard a duck-under or a movable bridge?, if the
    later I'd be worried about the wear an tear on so many
    lines.. maybe relocation of the yard to left or right?

15. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

It is presently an duck-under. I would much prefer walk-in but have not been happy with any of the design that allow walk-in and continous running.