n-scale hand rail painting, Help!

N

narrowsteam

I have been trying to find a paint that will stick to the N-scale Atlas diesel locomotive plastic hand rails, nothing seems to stay on without later cracking or flaking off, anybody have a proven method of solving this problem? I have tried pactra for Lexan and it too comes off...

:confused:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi N.S.!
I'm not too familiar with the paints you mentioned...(I've heard of the Pactra, but never used it)
Try priming the parts with Floquil Primer (you can buy this in a spray can, if you don't have an airbrush)...use a LIGHT coat of priimer...you just wat to give it some "tooth", to hold the paint...let iot dry for 24hrs, then try airbrushing with an acrylic paint, like Polly Scale (or brush the paint on, if you din't have an airbrush)
I've painted a lot of plastic models this way, & I've never had any problem with cracking, or peeling paint.
Good luck! :)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I read somewhere that there is a paint used by RC car racers that is flexable enough for the flexible car bodies, and that it works for hand rails. Never tried it, dunno hwat it's called, but I'm sure you can find out at an RC hobby shop or on-line somewhere. For the limited amount of flexing the hand rails should see, I'll bet Charlies plan will work fine too.

C

Catt

Both Tamiya and Pactra have the flexi paint.The thing is to make it work sucessfully you must apply it so that coats the handrail all the way around(including the areas you normally won't see).

The point is the paint has to connect completely around the railing to be able to flex.Another thing is to wash the unpainted railings and let them air dry.If you give them a vineger soak it supposedly gives the delrin some tooth.I prefer warm soapy water ,a clear water rinse,then an alcohol rinse .From this point on do nut touch the railings with your bare hands till the paint is dry.

Another paint choice would be Krylon "Fusion" paint (limited colour choice for RRs)

Narrowsteam,I hope this is some help for you.

F

Fred_M

Only thing I can add is limit picking up your locos, well trains. When you do have to pick them up grab them gently above the hand rails. I seen people pick up a delictate custom painted and detailed loco like it was a cast iron toy. Never touch the handrails. FRED

P

philip

flex R/C paints

Catt pretty much broke the method down.

Model Railroader July 2002, Page 100 ran the article on painting handrails.
Here is the links to the manufacturers websites.

Tamiya www.tamiyausa.com
Pactra www.testors.com

phil

N

narrowsteam

Everybody thanks for your tips. I will try some of them out...cheers