N Scale Flour Mill

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Drew1125, May 18, 2002.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Hey,
    Glad to see this forum, & really good to see Catt back in full swing again!!

I'm in the process of scratchbuilding a flour mill for my little N scale layout.
    This structure is mainly a background structure, & will not be directly "on-line".
    The structure is not yet complete, & I'll just show what I have so far...
    To build it I've used a piece of 1" dowel, some styrene siding, & 2 walls of a Model Power farmhouse kit.

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

It still needs to be painted & weathered, & there's a ton of detail work to do...
    I'll show you this neat idea I came up with for using the farmhouse
    I cut the 2 wall sections like so...

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

...& then, by turning clapboard siding on its side, you get corrugated siding, with little rectangular windows.
    I just LOVE those Model Power kits!
    I'll post some more pics when I get a little more work done. :)

Attached Files:

4. Catt

Catt Guest

That window idea is just too kewl Charlie. I'm gonna file that one away for when I start my mega elevator.
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

It looks real neat and another idea worth stealing (changing the type of siding). Keep us posted as work progress's.
  6. alkcnw

alkcnw Member

Hey Charlie, Thats about the best thing you can do with those model power kits, Chop'em up and make something good out of them!!!:eek:
  7. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It's amazing what one can do. This is using your creative skills Charlie. Will look forward to seeing the completed project.
  8. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Charlie, That's a great idea, thanks for sharing it.

Gary
  9. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Some More Progress...

Thought I'd show a couple of pics of where I'm at with the flour mill...
    I just keep finding more things to add on...

Attached Files:

10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

...& here's what it will look like in it's new home on the layout...(as viewed by my tiny N scale photographer ;) )

Attached Files:

11. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Charlie,
    Now that's Kitbashing !!!! The post is even better because you showed us how the thing evolved. You even got the final product to blend in nicely with the rest of the scene. I like the touch of rust on the corrugated siding. Great work !, Thanks.
    Pete
  12. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Really nice work Charlie! :cool: And that last shot is SPECTACULAR!!
  13. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It fits into your layout beautifully Charlie. A scene to be admired.
    Well done.
  14. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Charlie me'boy, you made a superb job of that model!
    Five major points that makes this thread outstanding:-

1) You mentioned the diameter of the colums. I (and no doubt many others) had no idea what a satisfactory dimension would be. Yours is perfect.

2) The example of thinking about spare plastic parts in three dimensions and various rotations. Your idea for the windowed wall is simply terrific.

3) The use of common inexpensive materials to make such an outstanding model. This is a definate "get-up-and-go-tackle-it" inspiring aspect.

4) The progress as it happened. From sow's ear to silk purse!

5) The final photo which makes it look as if it had always been there, merging in with everything else. (Such a splendid photo).

If I had made that I would feel so very very proud and I bet you have that great sense of satisfaction that comes with that success.

Thanks for sharing it all with us.

Errol