N Scale Flour Mill

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hey,
Glad to see this forum, & really good to see Catt back in full swing again!!

I'm in the process of scratchbuilding a flour mill for my little N scale layout.
This structure is mainly a background structure, & will not be directly "on-line".
The structure is not yet complete, & I'll just show what I have so far...
To build it I've used a piece of 1" dowel, some styrene siding, & 2 walls of a Model Power farmhouse kit.

Attachments

• mvc-030f.jpg
    mvc-030f.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 228

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
It still needs to be painted & weathered, & there's a ton of detail work to do...
I'll show you this neat idea I came up with for using the farmhouse
I cut the 2 wall sections like so...

Attachments

• mvc-022f.jpg
    mvc-022f.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 224

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
...& then, by turning clapboard siding on its side, you get corrugated siding, with little rectangular windows.
I just LOVE those Model Power kits!
I'll post some more pics when I get a little more work done. :)

Attachments

• mvc-028f.jpg
    mvc-028f.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 224
C

Catt

That window idea is just too kewl Charlie. I'm gonna file that one away for when I start my mega elevator.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Some More Progress...

Thought I'd show a couple of pics of where I'm at with the flour mill...
I just keep finding more things to add on...

Attachments

• mvc-014f.jpg
    mvc-014f.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 169

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
...& here's what it will look like in it's new home on the layout...(as viewed by my tiny N scale photographer ;) )

Attachments

• mvc-015f.jpg
    mvc-015f.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 161

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Charlie,
Now that's Kitbashing !!!! The post is even better because you showed us how the thing evolved. You even got the final product to blend in nicely with the rest of the scene. I like the touch of rust on the corrugated siding. Great work !, Thanks.
Pete

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Charlie me'boy, you made a superb job of that model!
Five major points that makes this thread outstanding:-

1) You mentioned the diameter of the colums. I (and no doubt many others) had no idea what a satisfactory dimension would be. Yours is perfect.

2) The example of thinking about spare plastic parts in three dimensions and various rotations. Your idea for the windowed wall is simply terrific.

3) The use of common inexpensive materials to make such an outstanding model. This is a definate "get-up-and-go-tackle-it" inspiring aspect.

4) The progress as it happened. From sow's ear to silk purse!

5) The final photo which makes it look as if it had always been there, merging in with everything else. (Such a splendid photo).

If I had made that I would feel so very very proud and I bet you have that great sense of satisfaction that comes with that success.

Thanks for sharing it all with us.

Errol