N Scale DPM Modular system

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
I am thinking about scratchbuilding a warehouse from DPM modular system. Any opinions, suggestions, pics are welcome. Is it cheaper to buy a DPM Gold kit, or buy modular systems? Thanks in advance.

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
I haven't built anything from the modular systems yet, but I have been pondering it. After adding up the price of the individual wall sections, in the end I think that it is about the same price as an actual kit. An advantage with the kit is that you can get some great details to go with it, but an advantage with the modular system is that you can have virtually any type of structure you want. Or maybe you could get a Gold kit and add onto it with the modular system.

Have you checked out DPM's web site? They have some pictures of different structures built with their modular system. There are some very impressive pictures. Let us know what you decide on doing, I would sure like to see what you come up with.

Freelancer

C

Catt

The DPM/Woodland Scenics modular system makes some impressive buildings,but the price is too.Have you concidered scratchbuilding your warehouse from sheet styrene?

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
cutting styrene

Even with rulers and sharp knifes, I still cant cut a straight line for walls & windows. The mod system takes that step away. Also, the walls are thicker than the brick styrene sheets.

C

Catt

Might I suggest that you try that straight line again guys?

Only this time let the knife do the work.

When cutting styrene use only moderate pressure,if the knife starts to wander let up on the pressure.I usually use the backside of the blade for cutting (the tip actually) and basically just drag it across the styrene and make many passes if I need to cut through the styrene or just score it about half way through then just snap it over a square edge.Such as the edge of your work surface.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I've used the HO modular parts, and what I like about them is that you can make any size and shape of building you want. There are lots of choices for different window styles too. What I didn't like about them is that it's not as easy as you'd think to get them correctly lined up. Oh wait, maybe that's me!!

Val

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Its not you Val, they are difficult to line up.
The DPM gold kit(ive worked on the Woods furniture kit ) has an awful lot of small pieces that need to be set in between each wall section and small cornice pieces.Now in HO this may not be bad.In N its somebodies nightmare come to life.
The smaller buildings arent too bad.
I did the Hilltowne Hotel and it was nice although i also did Magnussons larger Victoria Falls Hotel and liked it better!!

How about trying foamcore board and some scratchparts like grant line Or Period Miniatures Windows and Doors.You can veneer the front in brick if you would like.