N scale coupling and uncoupling

tonphil1960

Hi all, Since I last MRR'ed there is an amazing amout of new cool stuff to be had. These magnetic couplers? how do they work, and more importantly how do you uncouple cars, how are uncouplers installed on the layout?/
Oh yeah, switches,, electric or manual?? which is the way to go. I will be running DCC. I hope to run both Diesel and Steam, if my plan permits

Thanks Tony.

tonphil1960

Thanks got ya, So I can buy electro magnetic ones that I can control. Thanks for the turn out info didn't know they did that.

Tony

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
"DCC turnouts" can a mean a few things:

1) It is "DCC friendly" which means that it is non-power routing, and it has (electrical) insulating gaps so a short is not created when thrown. Some turnouts are not advertised as "DCC friendly", but are. Some that claim to be friendly may still require modification.

2) DCC-controlled turnouts mean that a stationary decoder and switch machine (like a "Tortoise") has been or can be added so you may operate the turnout with your DCC controller. Be aware that not all DCC systems (or components of systems) may be able to support this feature.

Andrew

tonphil1960

Hi Andrew,

With a small layout like mine, no more than 30 inches from front to back I guess it might be better to go with manual operated with rods??
There won't be that many switches maybe 4-6 on the mainline, and another 4-5 in the yard. Since I will have about 1.5 feet of space between the layout platform and the bench underneath.
Hopefully I can use the bench top for a staging area too

Thanks Tony

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If you are going to use something like Peco switches (turnouts which have a sprung throw) I would not even bother with the rods - I would just flip them with my finger. 30" is a good depth for reach - I would not go more than that.

Andrew

tonphil1960

Thanks Andrew, I was going to ask about that. Why I read that alot of people use Peco switches? Are they better than others?? Can I rig up control rods with these?

Tony