N Scale Box Cab

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by jmarksbery, Jul 26, 2003.

1. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

The crew have been hard a work in the shop of the WC & T RR. They wanted to build a small unit to move small loads, equipment and men around the road and came up with this box cab. Painted it pullman green with yellow safty rails and was off and running. (used trolly mech. for power) What do ya think? :rolleyes: :D :D

Attached Files:

2. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

frt 3/4:eek:

Attached Files:

3. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Attached Files:

4. Blake

Blake Member

That is excellent! Such inginuity those shop guys have! Love it.
  5. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

thats cool J love it:D :D :D rich

ps was thinking what I could use the trolley for
  6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Excellent! Looks fantastic! :cool: :cool: :cool:
  7. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Hey!! that looks just like my beachfront timeshare:D :D :D

Neat little boxcab!:cool:
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I think the WC&T R.R. management owe their shop crew a case of their favorite suds and the rest of the day off with pay:p Love that back shop look.
  9. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

A fantastic model, & some excellent workmanship per your usual, Jim!:cool: :cool: :cool:

My hat's off to the WC&T shop crew also!:D
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Nicely done Jim. Hats off to those hard workng crew.
    The background is very cool. Love those clouds
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

P.S. Shoulda kept the mech a secret. When Chris finds out you used a trolley and turned it into a fossil fuel powered loco, he's gonna be in mourning fo a month.
  12. Gordon M. Craig

Gordon M. Craig New Member

A very neat model indeed! And now for a question. Does anyone know where one could get drawings for CN's original 9000, a two unit diesel pioneer, built in the 1930's I believe. I would like to try to build it; it's quite a famous loco in Canada.

13. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Welcome to the Gauge Gordon. I am sure someone here will be able to give you the information on the original 9000 you are looking for
  14. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Is this the one you are refering to Gordon

Attached Files:

• 9000.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
  15. Gordon M. Craig

Boxcab Diesel

Yes, that's the one. Any suggestions as to plans, or better still some kind of kitbash that would build it (MDC had a vaguely similar boxcab in HO several years ago)?
  16. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Whoa...kinda looks like a Doodlebug and a Boxcab mated and this is their kid. Welcome to the Gauge by the way. That looks like a perfect first kitbash, the hard part being that D truck in the center. Looks almost like it started life as an electric.
  17. Gordon M. Craig

Yes, it's a very fascinating engine. Don't know anything about its history &c. BTW sorry about being off for so long; but don't worry; I'm back!

It would appear that the two units (9000 and 9001) always worked together as a unit; anybody with any info about this unit I would appreciate more info. CN fans, are you listening?

18. zeeglen

zeeglen Member

Very impressive! Scratchbuilding at it's finest!
  19. Gordon M. Craig

pioneer CN diesel boxcab

I know that D truck will be tricky; actually any suggestions for modelling it would be gladly received.

It is a wonder that CN hasn't made more of a fuss about this engine. It's Canadian self-effacement again. Look at the UP M10000 - Lionel built a model of it, for pete's sake; or the Burlington Zephyr, both pioneering locos of the era.

Anyone who has dimensional data or any more info on it please post. I believe that the train it's pulling is #15, the International Limited, between Chicago and Toronto.

20. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Neat boxcab, Jim!

trainworld.com has an N scale doodlebug that might be a good inexpensive starting point.

I've attempted to enhance the photo for details:

Attached Files: