N Scale Bldg Kits.

Hi Everyone, Jan 21st/01. 14:55 Hrs. MST.

Is there Anyone on this Board who is Experienced in Painting N Scale Bldg Kits?
I have 11 D.P.M. Kits plus a Few Others I
want to Paint but don't have the Skills to
do it. If Anyone Does, Please Email me of List at - trainorders@hotmail.com
Id like to hear from Your End. Perhaps we
can Work Something Out.
Special Thanks Everyonre.

Andrew,
Calgary.

trainorders@hotmail.com

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Andrew,
Why not just get some paint, pain brushes and ... jump into the water.
I highly suggest you get a copy of "Basic Structure Modeling for Model Railroaders" written by Jeff Wilson ( Kalmbach books )

The book includes some pictures and tips for DPM buildings.
I'm 59 years old, I'm not an artist if I can do it you have the skill do it too.
Try it, you won't regret it.
Feel free to ask any specific question.
Here is a link that will get you started:
Basics of Building Plastic Structures for your Model Railroad, with step-by-step photos

Here is a picture of my DPM "Roadkill Cafe"

Jacques

Cafe3.jpg

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Save your money and pick up a couple of good quality artist brushes with fine tips on them. There's not too many things in this hobby more satisfying than to look upon your own work and show it to others. I rescue poorly built box lot junkers myself, painting them is much like painting a DPM wall---a fine brush, good paint and a steady hand are all you need.

Before...

vacation11.jpg

After...

vacation12.jpg

Nice work, Jacques:thumb:

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Impressive "rescue" operation shaygetz.
Assembling and painting a structure gives a sense of accomplishment, because that structure will be unique.
Imho, building structures takes a lot of time and If I knew it I would have started to build my 1st structure even before laying the 1st piece of track.
One can never have enough structures on a layout.
When tackling a new hobby, I'm the kind of person who likes to have a good reference book on the subject. That's why I suggested "Basic Structure Modeling for Model Railroaders".

Jacques

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Those DPM kits have great detail and need a steady hand to paint. I used a "00" brush and should have used a magnifying glass to see the spots I either missed or didn't cover well. It actually helps to take a picture of the model during construction and painting...that way you can see just where glue, paint, plastic needs some work. From a foot away, you'll squint pretty hard to make out what a camera shows clearly.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Here's an older DPM kit I did. I usually try to use 3 or 4 different colors on a building because I think it looks more realistic and less flat. But I think the key is to keep everything in a similar color scheme.

2421618875_184933e076.jpg
(Edit: Sorry...I don't know why the link is showing up and not the photo)

I typically spray the entire building with black (to block future light from bleeding through the walls). I used to use simple black stray cans, but not I use and airbrush.

Then I spray on the base coat color (the brick).

From there, I do everything else with a small brush. Usually in this order for DPM structures:

- Upper floor window frames
- Detail around 1st floor windows/doors
- Front door
- 1st floor window frames
- Upper floor window sills
- Cornices
- Extra detail/contrasting color on any of the above items

I find that this order helps me touch up in between each one before moving to the next area. And believe me...there's ususally a ton of touchup.

Weathering will pull it all together nicely.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
That sounds good, but in real life I never saw a house where the doors, windows, sills , trims , cornices etc.. are all of thew same color.

Jacques

In my travels I have seen a few shanties that look like shaygetz's shanty that lack trim work...These was usually some type of office for pulpwood yards,scrap yards tire recycling yards and other like industries...

Of course one needs to get off the Interstate highways and take the byways to see these unique buildings.:thumb::mrgreen:

I even know where there is a house with purple trim!!!:eek: