n scale automobiles

Wyndigo

Hi everyone! :) I recently switched from HO to N scale, (long story as to why)
I have a bachmann iron duke set (yeah I know, not the greatest, but I like it)
now I have some of the layout and scenes almost done, I need to find a few small trucks and cars, preferably something that looks old "40's 50's" any ideas where to get them?

Thanks in advance :)

Wyndigo

Herc Driver

Check out nscalesupply.com or blwnscale.com or your local hobby store...there are quite a few makers of various models/years that should work for you. Of course, check out walthers.com as well as many and almost every on-line retailer.

Wyndigo

Thanks for all of the replys, I've been away from home, so wasnt able to get online.
I'll check out all of the web sites ya'll sent. :)

Wyndigo

vilefileman

Been doing the same era, 50's and 60's, Classic Metal works were the answer for me when I wanted already built, lineside models(spelling?) when I wanted to build and paint myself.
The trucks from Concor, although nice, are almost all identical, and come with these really bad mirrors you have to add, and the cabs and wheels tend to come off, on top of them being all plastic.
CMW's trucks series, like carnation, hennis and roadway, are beautiful.
I am in no way affiliated with CMW, I just love the product.
Another thing I have noticed is size.
Linesides are ever so slightly bigger than CMW and the kato and Altas line of n scale vehicles.

V

Much of my layout is populated with the Classic Metal Works vehicles. The biggest problem I have with them is that they come in pairs-- hard to put two of the same model vehicle on a rural layout. But if that's the biggest complaint, so what?

I have a half drawer full of the Linesides (and their predecessor, Road Apples) which I may never get to...

fifer

George wrote:
The biggest problem I have with them is that they come in pairs-- hard to put two of the same model vehicle on a rural layout.

I am glad I was not the only one who thought this was a dumb idea. I always thought they would have been better off to pack 5 at a time with multiple cars and colors. Now if we could get them to remember there were cars before AND after 1940-1978 and re-run some of the older one ie. Mail Trucks . Of coarse CMW is only a Diecast scale auto maker , not a model railroad company.

http://www.classicmetalworks.com/

Mike

Wyndigo

since we're on the subject of vehicles :) about what size should the road itself be for N scale? I'm wanting to do an old gravel road scene and maybe eventually a blacktop.

Wyndigo