N Scale Atlas GP-7

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Chad, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Chad

Chad Member

Is this loco good? I am trying to stick to pre-1950's and want a decent Diesel or two. I am also trying to stick to PRR and am not quite sure I am ready to repaint one myself sign1
  2. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

I have an Atlas TH&B GP7, it's a slow starter, needs a few laps to warmup but after that it's a smooth loco.I like it and so far I'm very satisfied with it.
    The Atlas GP7 has a great gear ratio making it a nice switcher because it can crawl slowly on a spur.
    I also have an Atlas CPR GP9. Imho both are worth buying.

3. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

4. Chad

Chad Member

:curse: Thanks! So now what? I thought I read that GP7's started in '48 and GP9's in '49....
  5. Chad

Chad Member

I guess, since I don't have anything built... I could be 1952... Thanks for the link!
  6. Biased turkey

I checked Atlas website and unfortunately, Atlas doesn't have a PRR GP7.
    My next purchase will be a [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]GP7 CNR #4800 green/gold ( the same as DoctorWayne has :) )

7. DavidB-AU

DavidB-AU Member

You could always imagine PRR trialled the demonstrator in 1949.

8. BKlein

BKlein New Member

I have 2 and although I have only test run them I would buy more very smooth and look great.

I have a Northern Pacific on ebay right now I got excited and bought it not relizing it was a phase 2 and the engine I want to model was a phase 1 and after getting one I really hate to bash it (I need a SD-26 cab on it)
  9. Biased turkey

Good idea David :thumb:
  10. brakie

brakie Active Member

Chad,EMD produce the GP7 from October 1949 to May 1954.The GP9 was produce from January 1954 to August 1963.
  11. Biased turkey

It makes me realise that I'm even older than a GP7. I was born in 1948 :)
  12. Chad

Chad Member

I am so sorry ... :(
  13. Biased turkey

No need to worry Chad, just remember that in the whole world someone is younger than you are and someone is older than you are. Take aging with a smile :)
  14. BNSFtheLeader

BNSFtheLeader Member

I have quite a few of them and I would have to say there right on top of the list of good runners. Now I just wish they would comeout with the Short hood version but I'm prety sure no one will since there's so many versions. :cry: