N Scale Athearn Challenger

natankman

Mar 7, 2007
I just got my challenger on Monday. I took it home to run, and it shorted out on me. I tried taking off the switch track I had, I tried running it in DC, I emailed Athearn, I reset the decoder. I did just about everything. It stopped making the "shorting out" noise and doesn't do anything now. Has anyone else had this (or a similar) problem?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Mannnnn, that's too bad. I'm sorry to hear that. Mine works great. Is there any chance you can return it to the hobby shop you bought it from (if you bought it from a hobby shop)? Are you using electro frog Peco switches? I've heard those can be a source of problems for DCC.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
natankman,
What is happening with your new Challanger- any updates?
Just bumping this post before I go out and get one . If you are having problems sure want to know how they are resolved.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
TrainNut,
Well not just yet! I have to wait untill the taxes are done. Got to pay Uncle Sam first.:cry:
BTW sent you a photo-did you receive it?

I would also like to know if there are any problems with the Challanger, before I get one. natankman- did you get yours running yet?

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
woodone said:
BTW sent you a photo-did you receive it?
I would also like to know if there are any problems with the Challanger, before I get one.
Yes, I got your email at 3:38 today. Picture looks great. I will resize it and get it back to you.
As far as the Challenger goes, I have run mine on both DCC and DC so far with pleasing results on both systems. I ran it for about 4 hours straight on DCC out at the club on Saturday with no problems. I have also played with it at home on DC (for now) nearly every day, with no problems. My only problem seems to be that my battery appears to be going dead already on the remote as my range is growing shorter and shorter.