N' other newbie

sledge57

Jan 1, 2006
Dearborn Hts, Mi
Hi I'm new also, both to model RRing and N scale. I did have some N scale stuff YEARS ago (25+) but never did anything with it except sell them.

At least I think I'm going N, as a lot of others have done, I've made my decision based on my limited space.

My main interest lies with mining or logging type modelling (I've seen some roads in W. Va. while white water rafting that just fascinated me). My space will most likely be U shaped in my computer nook. I have ~ 6-8 feet on the 2 sides and 10 feet along the back wall, BUT only about 15 - 20 inches of width.
I'd love to see some pics if anyone has done something similar, to get some ideas.

I've downloaded Atlass' RTS planning software and it looks like it should do for what I want but I have no clue where to begin.

Thanks......

Cadillac_SD9

Jan 2, 2006
i would suggest that you read John Allen's book of narrow gauge operations and scenery ideas. post some pics of your track plan or track work when you get done.

Welcome to the hobby. :)
West Virginia is a great area to model...no flat land there. ;)
The N scale Shay that recently came out is getting pretty good reviews. One of our club members has one, and I was impressed with it.

In the last 1 or 2 issues of the Western Maryland Historical Society magazine there was an excellent story on a Shay powered short line that supplied lumber to the WM. I thought it would be the basis for a good point-to-point layout. I loaned my issue to someone, but you can get a copy from the Society. It may be what you are looking for.