N Gauge Vs 00 Gauge

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by stev, Mar 10, 2007.

1. stev

stev New Member

Hi all
    I’m new to model railways, and would like to know the difference between N Gauge and OO Gauge trains; I get this feeling that one is smaller than the other, can anyone help me on this. Many thanks Stev
  2. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Welcome to the gauge! As for your question, N scale is smaller than OO. OO is essentaly the same as HO, but at a slightly different scale, but you can us HO on OO and vice verca.

EDIT: WHOOT! 500th post!
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

N scale is 1:160 scale riding on a 9mm track gauge. OO is 4mm to the foot designed to run on HO gauge track which is 5/8" between the rails. HO scale is 3.5mm to the foot, slightly smaller than OO but not too objectionable. Several folks including myself run both together. Years ago when N scale made its debut it was referred to as OOO scale. Hope that helps.
  4. stev

stev New Member

Many thanks for your help
    I'm on the right track now, I will be looking at both Gauges.
  5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Since you mention OO, I'll assume you're in Britain. British N is 1/148 on 1/160 track. Like OO, the scale and gauge are mismatched. OO is 1/76 on 1/87 track.
  6. rsn48

rsn48 Member

"British N is 1/148 " I never knew that and I've been in N for close to a decade now.
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

And we have a couple of layouts at our train show where they'll tell you, "No, this isn't N, it's 2mm scale." That's what OOO was supposed to be.