N-gauge kits -- Different scale?!

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
I just finished my first N kit -- a Model Power structure. Since it came out great, I decided to run to the hobby store and pick up two new ones.

This time, I got a Walthers and a DPM. I opened the DPM and noticed that it was surprisingly small. I compared it to the Model Power, and that made it look even smaller...or made the MP look huge...however you want to look at it.

So, I opened up the Walthers and it matched the DPM in scale. Since Walthers and DPM are the higher end brands, I'm assuming they're "right".

My question is....with all of the kits available...how do I know how faithfully a given manufacurer has stuck with scale? And more importantly....if I wind up with varying scale, all supposed to be N on my layout, how do I keep that from looking wrong in the long run? Are there kit companies to avoid because they're inturpretting scale differently?

Also, I noticed that Woodland Scenics people are smaller than some other brands on the market (they appear to be in scale with Walthers and DPM). There's a company ---can't recall the name. Something like Panzar that makes people. Are they "true" N or are they larger?

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Don't know what to tell you Frank.

If you look at houses they aren't all the same size. I'm sitting in a fairly sizable one it has 15 rooms. The one across the street probably has 10, my first house had 6. That is quite a range for a structure, you need to know what size the prototype was.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Frank Model Power and Pola are two of the worst offenders for being outta scale for n-scale. Preiser is the company that makes the best figures in any of the scales but they are "pricey". They are usually to n-scale standards but you have to read the fine print. In the Walthers N&Z catalog in the N section Preiser has 1:160, 1:120 and maybe one other size.

FrankG

Nov 19, 2004
Size differences

I understand buildings can be different sizes, but what I'm talking about is on the Model Power structure, the fire extinquisher is a scale 6-7 feet tall. The front door is about a scale 12 feet tall. To me, that's not only a bit off -- it's downright unexceptable. Other MP structures don't seem to be as bad, but the particular factory I did is.

Does anyone know how Vollmer is as far as scale fidelity? There's a particular structure I'd like to get from then, but would steer clear if they also fudge the numbers.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
Frank,

It sounds like they got a N Scale labeled box and put a HO structure in it.

Apply the universal solution to it, Dremel Tool it till it's correct
thumbsup.gif

I have never had any Model Power items so I can't really say much, others say that they are out of scale.

In any event it is a pain when things aren't what they are avertised as. Maybe a
curse.gif
class action would get them in line
biggrin.gif

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Years ago I used to be a kit builder but found scale problems like you did Frank. Since then I have been a scratchbuilder and only have myself to blame if the structure doesn't look right. Scratchbuilding in N is easier than the larger scales because I don't have to put in all the fine details and the end result still looks OK. I figure it is the overall image we are trying to achieve after all.