N Gage Layouts

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by winger, Sep 21, 2007.

1. winger

winger New Member

Can anyone recommend websites with good, detailed, N gage layouts?

2. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

3. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

4. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Welcome to the Gauge Winger.
    Here is what I consider to be one of the best N scale layouts website:
    Mike's Small Trackplans Page

I hope you'll find one layout that suits you.

5. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Anything specific you're looking for?
  6. Biased turkey

Triplex is right, I should have asked that question first.
    Do you want an N scale layout that fits in a shoebox ( not kidding here )
    Micro/Small Layouts for Model Railroads
    or an N scale basement empire and become an N scale robber Baron ?:)

7. winger

winger New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I did find some excellent possibilities on Mike's Small Trackplans Page

I have space for a 3' x 5' board. I could expand in the 3' direction but it is against a wall and If I go larger I couldn't reach the far side.

I didn't have much success with Model Railroader. Even after I registered I couldn't find a way to access the data base.

8. Biased turkey

I'm glad you found some interesting layout plans on Mike's website that fit your space requirement.
    Atlas has some N scale layout plans on their website too:
    Atlas N Code 80 Layout Gallery

9. winger

winger New Member

Another Layout Question

The layouts on Mike's page are done with Atlas track. I am working with Kato unitrack. Will the same basic plans work with this track or will nothing join up properly without major changes?

10. You will need to make changes, but you can get the basic idea of each layout. Best bet is to use some free track planning software like XtrkCad or similar to see how the Kato track fits together, then you can buy what you need. My layout is a Unitrack version of one from that site as well.

11. winger

winger New Member

I downloaded the XtrkCad software but I don't see any way to make it Kato specific the way the Atlas RTS software is for the various Atlas tracks. Am I missing something?

12. There is a track library that should have come automatically with the software. If you scroll across the top of the workpage where the track pieces are, you will come to the Kato library. You can then select from those pieces.

13. MinnMonkey

MinnMonkey Member

Kato has some track plans on thier website (Kato USA: Precision Railroad Models).
  14. jimh

jimh Member

XtrackCAD is a software design tool for track planning and it has Kato Unitrack as one of your track options. Can't speak for the ease of the program of anything as I just downloaded it the other day and have not had a chance to play with it any.

Download it from