N curves

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I have been reading all of the forums and information I can find and everyone agrees that an 11 1/2" radius turn, while fine for some applications wouldn't look right carrying longer cars. I am using Atlas' Right Track software and their options are 9 3/4", 11" and 19" radius curves. I plan on using flex track so am not locked into any of those dimensions but now I'm unsure on a compromise between looking right and the amont of real estate I have to use. I will be running the longer passenger cars over them so where is the dividing point? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Can some curves be hidden from view? If rolling stock works on a particular radius, but looks funny, if you could hide the tight radius in a tunnell or in a cut, or even behind some big city buildings, then the overhang of long rolling stock won't be seen. Beyond that, I would suggest experimenting with different radii to see what the smallest curve your equipment can negotiate without too much overhang. You could do the experimenting on a piece of bare plywood for test purposes.

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Passenger curves

with Passenger cars, the gentler the curve the better. Some won't look right even on the 19" curve

KATO makes a Bullet train in N that has a 26" *minimum* radius, and 30" reccommended!

(frightening that.. For you HO people, that would be a 50" minimum radius and 60" reccommended!)

One point on 84' Passenger cars though. The closer to side-on the view is, the less trouble the sharper curves will be. I know the Micro Trains UP/Amtrak/B&O passenger cars will negotiate 9-3/4 turns, but the overhang is *terrible*

There is still overhang on the 11" curves, but its not as bad, and looks better the closer you are in angle to the car height. This is one reason I prefer to sit at my layout.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Sir_Prize said:
You could put the layout high enough that the curve isn't noticed, much like the view block Russ mentioned; but on a horizontal rather than veritical.
Ummm..ya.. Does that make sense?
Makes sense, the problem is that I am pretty limited as far as how high I can make it and still get at things (vertically challenged you might say). I went through and refigured all of the visable curves to at least 11". Buildings wouldn't work that well at the near edge, but some judicially placed trees might just do the trick. :thumb: :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Pitchwife said:
Makes sense, the problem is that I am pretty limited as far as how high I can make it and still get at things (vertically challenged you might say). I went through and refigured all of the visable curves to at least 11". Buildings wouldn't work that well at the near edge, but some judicially placed trees might just do the trick. :thumb: :thumb:

A rock cut with a "cutaway hill" to the outside of the curve will make a nice viewblock that would be less delicate than trees near the edge.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Clark,N scale is no different then HO when it comes to curves..The best rule of thumb is to use the biggest radius curve you can for ease of operating long wheel base engines and cars. :thumb: :D Just by following that simple rule of thumb not only will your train run better but will look better as well. :thumb: