Myth Busters Paper Armor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by PaperAir, Jun 30, 2011.

1. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

Last night on Myth Busters they tested Chinese paper armor.The Chinese made there armor out of paper more than steel because it was cheaper and easy to make.They used Mulberry paper which is a tree bark paper and from what i read it got stronger when it got wet.Seems like a easy model project I might try in the future.
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I was watching a YouTube video on Shaolin Monks beating a paper makiwara. It held up much better than the plaster wall behind it!
  3. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Interesting! I'll have to Hulu that episode.
  4. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

that is the name of that YOUTUBE I like to check it out.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Here's the link, it is around 3:28 minutes into it. The whole clip is interesting. I studied Sil Lum Kung Fu for around 8 years. It helped me out a lot when I was injured.
  6. Uyraell

Uyraell Newbie

Logically, paper armour produced from mulberry bark should not be any less effective than the wicker armour used by certain tribes in remote regions.
    There was an article some years ago on the topic, in an online Bulletin Board.
    Apparently, the wicker armour could stop musket balls from penetrating at a distance of about 40 yards.

Were those reports exaggerated? Quite possibly, although I see no reason to doubt the amount of resistance to penetration such fibre armours may well have, be it wicker or paper.

Kind and Respectful Regards, Uyraell.
  7. zwave343

zwave343 the human lazor

i dont doubt this for a minute. i mean, how many times has somebody screwed with your mind. like you say what you think is the obvious answer and then its wrong to what is the most unlikely answer. but then again if it is inpenatrable by bullet, you wouldnt like to wear it against someone with a flame thrower!!!!
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

:p.....or a scribe..........:twisted: sorry, couldn't resist that!
  9. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

On the show they did shoot the armor with a mussle loader and it did stop the ball.The Japanese where so impressed with it,s performance they adopted the armor for a while.I read they would wet it down to resist fire which also made it stronger.
  10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I knew the Japanese were advanced but to know they could watch MythBusters in the past before Television was invented scares the heck out of me! (Only kdding, couldn't resist it!) :) (of course, that could explain why they attacked us, maybe they thought it would pre-empt those 2 buffoons!!:p
  11. primal

primal New Member

in my country i don`t view theese myth busters....:(
  12. inky

inky Member

13. Ultanis

Ultanis New Member

There was also and episode of MythBusters where they uses phone books to bullet proof a car. If I remember correctly it was able to stop a 7.62mm round
  14. murphyaa

murphyaa Designer

Give me a steel ruler, an exacto knife and a pair of scissors... I'll have that paper armor cut into little triangles in no time.
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Those guys bother me. They also do way too many close ups and these guys look like Orangutangs to me. I took a still of this episode where they were doing something with a box. See what I mean?

16. vader111

vader111 New Member

the only problem is that talking multiple hits from weapons would weaken it