mystery

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
This is a first for me at least......
Now it is as if I have grease on my tracks.
I don't.
I have no incline at all. It is perfectly level.
My train wants to move and is trying hard to do it. All it does though is sit and spin its wheels. :curse:
I do not understand this and it is really upsetting me!!! :curse:

N

nachoman

Hw many cars are you attempting to pull, and what kind of loco? IS the loco caught on something? Something beweeen the rails sticking up to high, or perhaps a coupler pin hanging too low?

Kevin

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
The thing is that it is not pulling anything, and it does this at random places. I will figure it out somehow.
I did mess with the pickups on it and it gets too much power now, I think. I put spit on the tracks and that helped a little.
Next I am just going to solder all the tracks and just work on the scaping. Even if it don't run it will look good. :thumb:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
As usual, I have more questions for you than answers. Is it a new locomotive? Had it been running OK prior to this episode? How many cars are you pulling? As mentioned above, is something hanging up on the rails?
Now for the comments. I don't think you can get "too much power". Spit on the track helping a little may indicate too much load or nothing at all.
Going to the soldering and landscaping won't solve the problem.
It sounds like your loco is running. Try just the loco and see what happens. Gently move the cars with your finger and see if you can feel anything hanging up. Report back with your results.

roch

Jan 1, 2008
Denver, CO
As usual, I have more questions for you than answers. Is it a new locomotive? Had it been running OK prior to this episode? How many cars are you pulling? As mentioned above, is something hanging up on the rails?
Now for the comments. I don't think you can get "too much power". Spit on the track helping a little may indicate too much load or nothing at all.
Going to the soldering and landscaping won't solve the problem.
It sounds like your loco is running. Try just the loco and see what happens. Gently move the cars with your finger and see if you can feel anything hanging up. Report back with your results.

I replaced the original power pickups with telephone wire and now it gets much more power than before. There is nothing hanging it up and no oil or dirt on the tracks. I know scaping it will not solve the prob. It was running just fine before and I do not have the money to buy a new one. It is just really strange and getting on my last stray nerve! I may scuff the rails a little on some scrap track to see if that works. :|

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
What kind of locomotive is it (brand, model)? If it's a dual-drive style, one power truck may not be operating. If it's a mid-mounted motor type, you may have a gear that's jamming or not engaging, and locking up one set of wheels.