Mystery Junk, What is it?

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
So I was at our local train show last week and I bought a box of HO train junk for ten bucks. It just looked good to me. I got three steam loco shells, about a dozen motors of different kinds, wheels and odd parts galore.

I had a brake through when I put power to the motors and most of them worked in one way or another. I found this old chassy frame with no wheels, but it had brushes and ran, the drive gear was missing as well. I found another chassy of the same kind that had it's drive wheel but no brushes, also missing it's wheels. I looked further and found wheels and the rest of the parts to put together a working chassy.

So I did. And it works!!!:D I found it had brass wheels down one side and figgured out it must have had another chassy with the wheels down the other side. I looked and found the parts for that too.

Its a gas to see it go sailing around the track! But I have no idea what it is or how old it is. Mabie one of you guys have seen one of these and can tell me what it is.

I think I'll build a Climax engine out of it.

Here it is.

Attachments

• junk train.jpg
    junk train.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 194

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
That's cool... I never seem to be able to find those kinds of deals...

The little "self-contained" powered trucks are useful for making all sorts of stuff - especially non-prototypical silly things. I made a goose (ok, it really existed, but not for Canadian National) and used a similar truck to power it.

Andrew

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Ray. Any idea how old it might be?

MasonJar - There are a couple of other chassy frames there. If I can find parts I would like to build a Goosey. Keep looking for that junk box;)

Jon - Cool Box Cab! I thought I could put a little tender behind to be the other pick-up, if I was to build a little critter, and dispence with the six wheel truck. I think I will build a BIG Climax out of this set (did Climax have six wheel trucks?) A strange version of a three truck shay:rolleyes:

Thanks again guys. Any idea where to get parts?

TrainClown

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
TC
Tyco started using that drive around 1973. Their 4 axle locos used the same truck, but the middle axle had a gear without the wheel and a retainer on the other side.
They also used that drive in one of the 4 wheel diesel switchers. If you can find a set of those wheels and fabricate a couple of pick-up wipers you're in bussiness.