Mylar Tissue Water

hminky

I found silver mylar tissue in the gift wrap section at the store. I glued it to pieces of masonite with spray fixative.

I over rippled the first with gloss matte medium. They need to be more subtle.

mylar_tissue_rippled.JPG

The second I just gave it a light dusting of Dullcote to tone down the shine and added a few ripply areas to break up the surface.

mylar_tissue_smooth.JPG

Harold

SAL Comet

Well, finally a good use for god awful stuff(mylar that is). What did you use under the mylar film Harold?

hminky

It is just the metallic silver wrapping tissue glued to a piece of masonite. All the colors are from the surroundings. Since I was in a hurry I wasn't careful and dirt got under the mylar and is a bit bumpy, noticeable in the second picture. Just exploring new possiblities for making realistic water so these are just mockups to see how things look.

Harold

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Another source for mylar is the local florist shop. Get one of their mylar balloons and let the helium out (by using it to talk funny of course. :D )

ezdays

Out AZ way
That's really great Harold. a lot easier to work with than glass, you can cut it to shape, that's the neat part

RailRon

Fantastic idea, Harold!

I've seen many of those silvery Mylar balloons and always thought "What a silly stuff - oh well, perhaps good enough for kids..."
Hey, now I look at them quite differently... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for sharing your great scenery ideas with us!

Ron

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I just love it when someone looks at a product that's been around for a long time, and they see the possible use for it as a scenery product.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Pete

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Its true what they say, "you can lead a horse to mylar..." :)
Nice idea with a terrific reflective appearance!
Ralph

hminky

While out looking for Mylar foil I found this silver balloon at a party store it creates a neat effect:

balloon_water.JPG

I haven't found a source for this exact product on the web and this was purchased at a local store in Dover, DE. There are smaller ones available on the web but I don't know what they look like.
Mylar foil is used for hydroponic gardening and is available in 50" wide x 25,50 and 100 foot long rolls.

Just a thought
Harold