My Y-Wing Build

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by leofirebrand, Aug 20, 2012.

1. leofirebrand

leofirebrand Member

I always wanted to scratch build a Y-wing because of all the little greebles and details and decided my skills had progressed where I should be able to do a decent job of it. I found a 2D blueprint online that I thought would help with the basic shape and scale but I have had to fine tune and correct it alot so far.

You can see in the pics below I am starting with the basic shape and then layering on detail from there. Im using bits of wire for some of the tubing. The model is proving pretty tough since alot of the detail is between 1-3mm at most.

Attached Files:

2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

The amount of detail that you are putting into this model, is PHENAMINAL!!!
    You are doing an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING job on this model.
    Keep up the GREAT work.
    I will be following this thread.
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I second what Rhavn said, this ship Rocks!! :)

Like what I'm seein'!
  5. Bane

Bane Member

Detail?!!! :shock:

That's not detail. That's a work of art!!!
  6. dnalor

dnalor Active Member

Wauw...she looks great..

That is why i wanted one..
    but didn't find one because of the details (i think)...
    and you've done a great job so far.

i will be following this.
  7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

All those details really make a difference! You're off to a great start!
  8. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

WOW! That is an amazing build!
  9. scifimodelfan

scifimodelfan Member

Absolutely beautiful, great detail, love iy
  10. trt

trt Member

That's me speechless. It's all been said. Utterly superb, fantastic details.
    I'm still amazed at what can de done with paper. I am in awe
  11. leofirebrand

leofirebrand Member

Thanks for all the kind words, it definately is keeping me going with this build. I have been wanting to do this for a while but all the detail was intimidating. In reality the individual pieces are very easy to make it's just the sheer quantity. Here's hoping I retain my sanity by the time I am done. Here is another pic showing some of the cuts next to a mechanical pencil to get a better idea of scale. I hope to have everything except the "wings" done tonight or tomorrow and then I will update with more progress shots.

Attached Files:

12. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

That is very IMPRESSIVE indeed.
    I know what you are going through. I have been rebuilding (while putting in as much detail as I can) my Thunder Fighter Squadron. Here is the thread:

Keep up the GREAT work.
  13. DeadlyTedly

DeadlyTedly New Member

Greebleous maximus!
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I don't think there is anything you cannot do. I would like to some see some greeble detailing instructions. They are awesome!! :)
  15. dnalor

dnalor Active Member

HUM...a step by step how to build a y wing...:)
    How to greeble an y wing :)

Maybe a template of the main structure..

16. leofirebrand

leofirebrand Member

Here is an update on where I am at. Got alot done last night and I am almost done with the sides. just have part of the neck to finish. As far as the questions; Sadly my process does not use 3D modeling so templates would be difficult. I normally do 2D blueprint but for this model I found some online. You can find them here just remember there are some inconsistencies with the actualy screen used ywing:

If anyone would like the 50 or so reference photos I collected from google let me know and I can share that as well.

I would love to share my greebling process. The other forum I post progress on does not really do much card modeling so I have gotten in a bad habit of not documenting my process well. Once I am done with this build I will post a more detailed tutorial. Until then I will make a separate post with some basics. Sorry to double post. There is just a limit on the number of pics per post.

Attached Files:

17. leofirebrand

leofirebrand Member

Greebling really is very easy, just time consuming. Here are some common tools and tricks I use:
    • Strips of paper - In .5,1,3,5,and 6mm widths (for this project) on 110pd cardstock. I also create another set at these width but laminated 3 sheets thick. The vast majority of the details on this model were made by layering different shapes and width onto the model. If you look at the pics you can see how each section can be broken down into these basics.
    • Leather hole punches - I discovered these a few years back and love them. They are intended for leather so they last a while and come in a large range of sizes so you can make perfect circles every time.
    • Drafting stencils - These things tend to be pricey for what they are but will give you all the circles, squares, triangles and other shapes you need. A cool trick with these is to shape the strips into circle shapes by shaping them inside the stencil holes. that way when the paper natural tries to spring straight it will just fill the form. Just add glue and voila! perfect circles.
    • Sand Paper - great for giving rounded/beveled edges to shapes cut from the thicker strips.
    • Wire - Doing small cylinder shapes out of paper over and over requires more patience then I have so this is a cheap effective solution.
    I include a progress shot below that shows me making the basic form. After that I used the same shape I did for the top portion and traced out the panel lines (The ones on the blueprint were not accurate). Once that was done I just cut it out and glued the panels to the basic shape. I then used some of the strips and my stencils to add the little raised details.

Attached Files:

18. Chris74

Chris74 Member

it's going to be one of the best SW model around.... that's lucky for the Rebellion :)
    great job, indeed !
  19. sidewinder81777

sidewinder81777 Midnight Modeler

Incredible work, definitely will be watching this one come together!
  20. F131

F131 Member

Thank you for sharing your work and modeling tips. This ship is really amazing.